tannoy 15 inch woofers

dhsettim

has anyone tried altec drivers in ther khorn.

I have some altec 604b's and 604c's that I was given.

The 604's came in a cornwall sized cabnet(about the same size) but 5 inches deeper.

the cabnet are real real heavy and are x braced inside with a lot of 2x4 front has a port about the size of conwalls.The came out of a old recording studio. The sound is real punchy and clean with a decent deep bass.

I love to hear a altec in the klipschorn .

Khorn58---Altec 604s are not suited for use in Khorns. It's a concentric full-range driver meant to be used in a vented box. Bury the driver in a Khorn and you'll never hear those gorgeous highs and mids it puts out.

If you want to try an Altec woofer in your Khorns then try the 515, this was Altec's top woofer. There were several variations over the 55 years it was in production and some consider the 515G the ultimate basshorn driver (not me, never heard one in a folded basshorn). Mike Bates in Cleveland reports excellent sound with 515Bs in Peavey FH-1 folded basshorns, haven't heard his rig yet but he likes mine, that means something. :-)Go to www.soundpractices.com and go to the Altec info section, then go to the article on large Voice of The Theatres, for info and usage on the 515. The woofer of the 604 Bs and Cs is basically a 515A, the first 515 with the rolled paper surround. You could stick them in your Khorns to see how a 515A would work but I wouldn't leave them in there. By the way, Altec 604s have a fanatical cult and are worth LOTS of money, especially the 604Bs which are especially hot right now. I know a guy who uses 3 604Bs and 2 604Cs in his home theater. Are yours in the original Altec 620 "TV front" utility cabinets?

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 01-31-2002 at 02:33 PM

TBrennan,

I never ment to stick the 604's in the khorn just wanted to know if any out there had treid some "Other" altec drivers in the Khorn(like mid drivers and low end).

I would like to find some 515 altec drivers and give them a try.

If I dont like them I do have some old VOT cabs that need drivers.Was useing them for live Pa moniters in the Studio.

My 604b's are orig cones and Xovers (they all say holywood on them But came with out cabnets(hey they were free).

The 604c came with The large (cornwall size heavly braced studio cabnets.I put the 604b's in them and the sound is Yummm.I am using them as main studio moniters now.I think the cabnets were altec made for recording use or they were costmade by a real good speaker builder they are over 200lbs each and extra extra reinforced.

But I have heard that Altec Or WE mid drivers can really improve the sound of the Khorn Exspecialy with the 50's mid horn.

Jim

Khorn58---IMO the Altec 515B in the 825 (A7) cabinet makes the very finest upper-bass and lower midrange ever, the things are uncanny, spooky, the most realistic vocals, when combined with various Altec or JBL 1" drivers, I ever heard. Lower bass is weak though, that's an unavoidable function of the horn-reflex cabinet's stepped response. Once I used Cornwall bottoms with an Altec 806 on a 511B horn coming in at 500hz, sounded much better to me than regualr Cornwalls. Then I went back to stock but with a tractrix mid horn from the Klipsch Pro line in place of the stock mid horn. Then I traded them for Altec 605As, much better speakers I think. Man, Hollywood 604Bs, hubba-hubba. As for 50s Khorns with the radial horn, I think the Altec 802, 806, 902 or JBL Le-175 or LE-85 (2420 and 2420 pro designation) or 2426 drivers would sound much better than the University mid driver and tweeter, they should work well on the Klipsch horn with an adaptor to go from threaded horn to bolt-on driver. If you have Altec drivers give it a try, if not I can send you some beater 802s that work fine to try, if you like them just buy your own and send them back.