SilverSport

While listening to my Home Theater last night (Diana Krall: Live in
Paris) I noticed a "spitting" noise coming from my KSP-S6 rear surround
speaker...I traced it to a woofer and opened the speaker up...changing
one woofer for another, the spitting/cutting out followed the speaker
so I am thinking it must be the woofer...any ideas for a reapir or is
it shot...I did notice that the sound changed, sometimes stopped
"spitting" if I pressed lightly on the speaker...it is a K-1057
KV6.5...is there a diaphram in the woofer???

Thanks for any help you care to share...I asked this in the Home Theater Forum but after 24 hours not one look...thought I would ask here...

Bill

The "diaphragm" in a woofer is the cone so it is not generally considered repairable. If it's bad, you replace the complete driver. On really large, expensive woofers such as 18" pro sound units, it's not unusual to have recone kits, but not for smaller woofers such as the one in question.

You might have a blown woofer in which case you want to contact 800-klipsch to buy a replacement or have it replaced under warranty if it's still in the 5 year coverage. On the other hand, it may not be blown. With the woofer removed from the speaker and both leads disconnected, try gently moving the cone back and forth with your fingers. Do you feel any scraping or hear any? If so, it's likely shot. If not, the sound may be something else. Take a close look at the two flexible leads that go from the input tabs on the woofer to the voice coil. Make sure they are not near the cone as they might be touching and causing the noise. In any case, it's good to just move them a bit as they might be vibrating and causing the sound. Try connecting speaker wire to the bare woofer and playing at very low power to further diagnose the problem.

Thanks Bob,

I guess I will be calling for a new woofer...I pulled the woofer out of the cabinet...still the sound...I already changed the woofer from one side to the other...the sound followed the woofer...that's what I needed to know I guess..woofer is blown...[:(]

Bill

I've seen a few drivers where over time the surrounds seem to wear differently on one side than the other which causes the cone to shift its alignment a bit. Sometimes you can just take off the surround where it connects to the basket or the driver (whichever is easier) and then reglue it trying to realign the VC in the gap.

If you're gonna trash the driver anyway, then there's really no worry of breaking something permamently either. It's also a fun learning experience to crack open your first driver too.

These drivers are probably relatively cheap though so it's probably not worth your time...