Need Help with new Home Theatre System

JEO

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here and I am putting together my first Home Theatre system. Let's start with what I already got.
- Klipsch Synergy F2 tower speakers
- Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer

Ideally I would like to setup a 7.1 surround sound system, but I would not mind a 5.1 for now and add two speakers later. Here are few options that I was considering.

Option 1:
Buy Klipsch Quintet II or Quintet III MicroSystem and make a 7.1 surround sound system, i.e. F2s for front Quintet will make the surround, back and centre speaker. I am just not sure, if Quintet will work well with Synergy F2.

Option 2:
Buy a pair of Synergy B2 and a C2, and make a 5.1 surround sound system for now, and add two speakers later.

Option 3:
I can return the Velodyne DPS12 and buy a Bose Acoustimass® 10 Speakers System, that will also complete my 7.1 surround system.

This is my first time buy receiver as well, my budget allows only about $500 for the receiver. I am considering Harman Kardon AVR247, Denon AVR788, 688 or even 588, Yamaha HTR6060 or if you guys think of some other receiver plese advise. I have concerns with each of the receiver and don't know how it will affect the system; for example, HK and Yamaha use HDMI v. 1.2a and also not sure if HK got enough power or not. Denon seems to be the right answer...

I am working on a budget, that's why I am buying one piece at a time. If you have any suggestions or thoughts please do post them. I talk to guys in the Best Buy they know even less than me but obviously they pretend to know it all.

Thanks Guys.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forum Jeo!

I can return the Velodyne DPS12 and buy a Bose Acoustimass® 10 Speakers System, that will also complete my 7.1 surround system.

I know it's getting late so my eyes must be getting blurry. "Blose" is almost a cuss word around here. [:P] I do not see how the acoustimass 10 could come close to a Velodyne sub. You cannot expect to get movie worthy sound out of a Bose system.

This is my first time buy receiver as well, my budget allows only about $500 for the receiver.

Be sure to check out Vanns and the Harman Kardon Store. I love and miss my HK that I just sold. LOL. Considering selling my Onkyo TX-SR703 and getting me another HK. Even though they have low power ratings, they crank out serious volume as well as quality sound. Lots of folks around here like their Denons too.

• Moderators

My living room is 18" wide x 17.5 long. As you can see in this photo, the front of the room does not have walls behind the speakers so this greatly reduces almost all of the bass from these speakers. My 15" Velodyne takes care of the bottom end though. Currently since I only have a 2.1 setup, I listen to mostly music 80/20 or even 90/10 (music/movies). Once we build our house and have a dedicated theater room, I'm sure it will be be the other way around with more like 40/60 (music/movies). I forget which speakers you are looking at purchasing (or might have already purchased).

Did you decide on the 82's or 63's or are you now considering the 83's?

I'm only 30 min from you. You are welcome to come by sometime and listen. If you have your setup, I would love to check it out as well. PM me if you want to hook up sometime so that we do not hijack this thread.

Michael