Onkyo 705 vs. Onkyo 606?

nezff

might have to explain that a little more.

If I understand your question right. You would use the functions and controls of the new receiver and the power would be handle by the amp. So you would have to pick the model that has all the bells and whistles that you want the start.

James

40 more watts wont hurt? but I dont think it warrants another $300?

Well what I first stated is whichever receiver that you do end up getting it should have pre-outs. So when you think you need more power then instead of getting a new receiver all you would need at that point is an amp. In turn that would mean when you do get your next receiver that you have to look more at the future of your setup then just a the next one or two years. To make sure that the receiver has all the inputs that you would need, bells and whistles, for the years to come. Then again it all depends on how offend you change your setup.

If I made this more confusing for you sorry.

James

• 2 weeks later...

If the 606 has enough power for you, then I would give it the nod.

There was a batch of 805/875s that shipped with below spec capacitors which failed when they hit the top of their operating range temprature. It effected both models from all three plants. All are being fixed under warranty, but that doesn't entierly make up for the trauma of seeing the caps self destruct.

If you go 805, this is one of the few times I'd actually suggest a refurb over new.

Of course you can't go wrong by waiting for all of the x06's to be released.