Surround speaker placement options in a perfectly square room

Mike Ockhertz

If you want the difused sound field created by the RS-3s I would place them on the side wall just to the left and right of your primary listening position. I would put the RB-3s on the back wall for rear center.

Most people use a direct radiating speaker for rear center (RB-3s).

I have the KSF-S5(like the RS-3s) for a rear center with the KSP-S6s(also WDST) for side surrounds. I already had the KSFs so I used one. The sound is just fine IMO using a WDST speaker for rear center. This might change when 6/7.1 discrete gets bigger.

If you like a more directional surround sound then I would go with all RB-3s. It is all personal taste.

& from the klipsch q&a section

What is the rear center channel for and what type of speaker should I use?

The rear center channel is a recent extension of both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 processing,

called EX and ES respectively. It is based on the same principle as the front center channel

which is to "localize" sounds in the center of the soundstage or give them a distinct area they are

appear to come from, filling in the sound gap between the left and right rear channels.

Therefore, the same type of speaker used for the front center may be used for the rear center.

Because of the need to "localize" the sound to the center, a monopole center channel speaker is

usually the best choice. Some electronics offer the option of using TWO rear center speakers.

What will sound best is dependent on the size of the room and what type of surround speakers

you choose. WDST surrounds generally do not require the addition of a rear center, but

adding one enhances the localization of events in the rear sound field.

------------------

My Home Systems Page