Bass shakers perhaps, or a new project

t-man

"What are you doing down there, honey?"

"I'm busy, please leave me along for a while"

wife walking downstairs to see what's up....

"Oh no, not another stereo project! What's with all those cables and wires, and what's that stereo box thingy.."

Well guys, you can guess where it went from there. I embarked on a new project this evening. I've been thinking about getting some bass shakers, so I can watch at lower volumes with the new baby and all. I was trying to think of a way to hook them up and all with minimal cost before purchasing, so I decided to experiment.

I have this 'ol Kenwood 175w X 2 Amp laying around doing nothing, so I decided that since I've been so dissapointed with hooking my KSW12 to the sub out of my Denon each time I tried in the past 16 months, that I'd put a twist on it. I hooked up the Y-cable to an input on the Kenwood, and ran speaker wire to my sub's high level inputs. Was wondering if this would make a difference. The Kenwood has a built in EQ, and maybe the extra gain would help out the KSW as well.

Initial testing so far is quite favorable, and is a definite improvement over running the KSW straight to the Denon. Basically I am running two pre-amps (one active, and one passive) now. Now I can run the bass shakers directly from my Kenwood on the B channel.

Has anybody tried something similar to this? Am I in danger of damaging my sub by using this hookup, with all the preamps and all? If not, it is definitely a good solution for those with long sub cable runs...Find an old amp/receiver, and use cheaper speaker wire as opposed to Sub cable. Sort of like a high level line converter, but much more useful, and cheaper.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Well, after extensive testing this morning (wife gone, of course) I've decided to go back to the speaker level inputs comming full range from the denon, and telling my Denon I have no sub. This does work the best (by far).

You can't say I haven't tried. I really would like the Denon to take care of bass management, so I can adjust everything via the remote. I just can't justify the loss of bass punchiness I get when using the Denon's sub-out.

I'll have to find some other way to hook up the bass shakers.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron