Home Theater/Pro Media Incorporation?

dubrowski2004

Hey all,

I currently have the Pro Media 2.1s and am very very pleased. In addition to this system I have the monster cableing as well as one SWS subwoofer. These days though I am interested in upgrading to a real home theater system. My question is, If i purchased a quality reciever would I be able to incorporate not only the speakers but more importantly either the sub that came with the 2.1s or the SWS as I dont want them to just sit around and go to waste. What worries me is how they don't use normal stereo cabeling. If anyone knows how I can incorporate these subs into a home theater system please let me know. Thanks!

Joe D

Joe,

Welcome.

You should just leave the 2.1 for your computer. Buy a good receiver and Klipsch speakers for your seperate system. Budget/room size/ tastes will dictate what you need or Want...............Just my 2 cents.

Though the 2.1 is a great system............you would be pushing it way to hard to achieve a Proper HT system.

• Moderators

I totally agree with Bill. The Promedia 2.1 are a fantastic set of computer speakers...but that's what they were designed to be. They could probably be incorporated into a HT setup but you would be much better off to begin to look for even a used klipsch setup. You will be much more satisfied going that route, even if you only have a few hundred dollars to invest.

New or Used? Just 1K on speakers alone or does that need to include a reciever?

I'll admit I use my Promedia Ultra 5.1's for HT duty....BUT...my room is very, very small(like 7'D X 9'W). I am 6' from the screen on the couch using a 27" HDTV, if I was sitting I would be able to tocuh the screen and my nose. I have a DD5.1 collecting dust that originally did the decoding/preamp for when I had the v2-400's, but then got a Technics SH-AC500D as my preamp. Granted I only have the HDTV cable box, and my HD-DVD player, but thats all I need. It does the job for such a small room.

If you like the look and feel of the Promedia's, maybe look at the quintet setup.

You might be able to use the SWS, as I believe it just takes a line in. This is atleast what I can tell from the manual. I've been tempted to try and connect my spare sub to the SWS out off my ultra's but haven't yet. The SWS does pretty good from what I heard, and may hold you over till you can get a bigger sub.

Dubrowski,

You could get a good receiver, like the Yamaha RX-V 467 (or newer) for around 500.00 < plus a set of Used Heresys from Ebay for around 350.00 to start off with. Then expand with more Heresys for the Center/ rear channels, as funds become avaliable. It is a Start.