Harman Kardon AVR-7200 and 7300 Headaches

Guys,

I've got a pair of Cornwalls and Synergy rears.

FYI - in November of last year I bought a used AVR-7200 on Ebay from a guy for $500.00. It had power problems. The unit would not stay on. Shortly after that it I could not turn it on. On/click off by itself - on/click off by itself.

To make it brief:

1. Sent to Rex Service in Worth, Illinois - an HK "premier" service center. Came back. Same problem. Paid $175.00.

2. Sent it back again to Rex. Paid $25.00 for shipping. Came back again. Same problem.

3. Meanwhile, ordered a refurb 7300 from HarmanAudio on Ebay - this is an HK owned deal. 7300 came in. DOA. Volume control on unit was wacky. Turn the knob and the volume numbers jump all over the place. Hooked up video. Watched a movie. CLICK. Lost video - could not get it back. Send it back and got my $744.00 back.

4. Back to the 7200 - Called HK - they picked up shipping and repair costs to these guys - http://www.avsl.net/ - another premier HK center. Unit came back. Three days later it no longer turns off by itself! Hurray! But I cannot plug any S-Video devices (DVD player or laptop) into the unit and get S-Video output to my tv. Called HK support - 'it's broke - send it back'. Well, I'm not shipping it again. I have sound. I can do DVD straight to the TV. I'm not shipping for repair #4 no matter who pays.

I told Paul at HK the whole story. I said "your infrastructure is . . . I can't get anything repaired and I get DOA's from you guys. Tech support guys are very good - old pro types. He said, "We're aware of the problems and are making major changes."

If you own an AVR-7200 and 7300 and it works be thankful. Treat it nicely. You cannot get it repaired. Trust me on this. You cannot buy a refurb from Ebay. It won't work.

The good old days are gone.

Mike Gallery

HK,sad story,great sounding products,the best budget mass mrkt music avr.They do have their fair share of problems,generally simple and easy to fix but they won't.They do stand behind their products while in warranty very well.

I wish I knew of a product that would work as sweetly with my Cornwalls as the AVR-7200. I'm struggling to stay 'behind the times'.

I've come to think of the 7200/7300's as fragile products. If you bought one new and it's working great then you're done. Once you start shipping these around or getting repairs done it's like playing repair lottery. You don't know what you'll get back.

My original Ebay seller did reimburse me $150.00 for repair costs so the real loss has been mostly my time in lugging this thing back and from from the UPS store.

HK is not doing so well these days. If they ship out refurbs that are not fully tested something's going on out in the warehouse that ain't good.

Anyway, I think all's well that ends well. I have good sound and video so there we are.

Thanks.

Mike Gallery