Runco projecter... any other ideas?

justin_tx_16

ok, we have this idea of putting in our own REAL home theater like my neighbor. if you remember she is spending about $40,000 on hers, ours will be a little cheaper LoL!. More of about $20,000, $30,000, max absolute max. we have the goal to do basically exaclty what she is doing but not AS extreme.

we have a screen that is (well, a place for a screen) 16 feet wide and 9 feet tall, approx. we were told to get a Runco projector that was like $7000 because it had built in keystoning adjustment and stuff (automatic i think). but, if you could get a projector for this price, or around it, what would you get? it will show digital tv, dvd's, computer (hopefully) and maybe some VHS (yuck).

that is the first question. now, what kind of speakers would you get, receiver and such? i would like to put in a 7.1 system but where would i put the front center (as with even a 5.1)? if it went behind teh screen, which will pull down or be electric (any ideas on this?) is there a special kind or will all pretty much allow good sound pass through?

we have 10 foot ceilings, two feet from the walls at the ceiling it goes up another foot where we will put some rope lighting or fiber optic (dad wants rope, i want fiber...) for some indirect lighting. i have no walls in there right now, just the beams so i can do whatever as far as wall treatments and wiring goes, though i think we have allready arranged to put in 7.1 12 guage, all in their own conduit so if we ever need to change, it can be done...

is there a decently priced receiver, considering, that could power this or will a seperate amp and receiver be needed? either way, what would you get?

now for the biggie, to me at least. i don't care what the brand of speakers is, mix match, whatever. size does nto even matter, no jubilee's please Smile.gif (well, nothing outreageously sized). should i jsut stick to a 5.1? that would save money i am sure.

we asked a sound guy what he thought about sound proofing, he suggested insulating the walls and then putting one sheet of MDF and another sheet of sheet rock, or just double sheet rocking... would this help or cause some echo? the room is somewhat rectange and has a 4 foot stage at the front of it that goes up 1 foot from the floor. and don't forget the ceiling which has two levels. we also wanted to put in some wood floors because this will also be a dancing floor (not huge but about 10 couples i guess could dance at once?). would this cause an echo? we can have a rug made to cover it if you think that would be best but that is expensive and a hassle. (thinking about what speakers will do great movies AND music...)

more about sound proofing... i had the idea of using really thick drapery material like in the old movie theators to prevent echo's and help sound proof. that was where they got say a 20 foot spool of thick fabric and put it on a 10 foot wall so it was wavy, would this help? it would be on a rod so it could be pulled away and look quite nice Smile.gif if we did not pull it back and put egg crate behind it... what do you think of that?

i have a lot to ask of you, sorry. Frown.gif

so, breaking it down.

budget $20-30,000

what we need...

dvd player (for dvd's and music)

receiver

speakers (5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1, which ever you would put in, or just leave the option to upgrade Smile.gif)

projector... remember, 16 foot by 9 foot...

screen

amp

sound proofing ideas

and anything else you think i might have forgotton.

oh yeah, we have an actual movie theater film projector from a movie theater, in great shape. so this would be on there too, not sure how the audio works with this... any ideas? LoL! not sure if anyone here ever worked at a movie theator but where does teh sound come from on one of these? a seperate track but what reads it?

i think this is it... we have a few months to build it, hopefully wont take that long. when it is done i will post some pics.

oh... another epiphany.

the roomis rectangle, the door that enters it, just to the right there is another door, this is the proposed control room. all equiptment will be in this 5x9 foot room. this can work right?

i hope this is not too much to ask... again. my neighbor still has not really done anything to finish hers off, we are about to catch up! LoL!... she had a 4-5 month jump on us too! LoL!

never thought that i would live in a house with REAL home theater sound and picture Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>

Justin, slow down, you're losin it manSmile.gif!!!

Place your checkbook, bank book and/or credit cards that you have on the floor in front of you and SLOWLY BACK AWAY, ok...

I strongly recommend you seek professional help, on many levels. Recommend you consult a local HT dealer/designer. This is going to get expensive so you might as well do it right! Good luck, and keep us posted.

Spend some time on www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

The NEC LT150 I had only weighed 3 1/2 lbs or so.Messed with a Sony G70 CRT for a while and the little NEC compared picture wise(if not better) and you don't have to do anything but turn it on.For about $2000 or so and no weight.The blacks were very good and it does HD.

AV Science has answers.

7 grand for a Runco?Must be used or it's not a CRT

This message has been edited by Steve P on 01-20-2002 at 09:19 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Curran:

Justin, slow down, you're losin it man
Smile.gif
!!!

Place your checkbook, bank book and/or credit cards that you have on the floor in front of you and SLOWLY BACK AWAY, ok...

I strongly recommend you seek professional help, on many levels. Recommend you consult a local HT dealer/designer. This is going to get expensive so you might as well do it right! Good luck, and keep us posted.

i figured as much... LOL! i am gonna try to take pics as things go along, right now all you will see are beams so i think i can leave that out Smile.gif

thanks anyways....

any pro's out here want to helpcwm11.gif hehehe

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

ProMedia 5.1 Placement Help s>