TD 124 followup

Thanks to all who recently gave me advice on my planned purchase of a TD 124...especially fini. After watching for several weeks at partially rusted ones going for 800 to 1000 I bought one today that appears to be immaculate. I paid more than I should have but the seller appears to be knowledgable and have a good reputation. You never know but I've had good luck on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thorens-TD-124-TD124-MK1-flawless-condition_W0QQitemZ290230975360QQihZ019QQcategoryZ48649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is coming from Sweden and the shipping is priced at $88 which seems a bit too little. I have sent the seller an email requesting that this be double boxed and the platter removed from the base. Can anyone offer any other requests I should make to the seller regarding packaging and shipping this?

The next step will be the tonearm. The sme 3012s are quite expensive compared to the 3009s. Any advice on which I should look for and why?

thanks

Looks good, Charles!

Yes, definitely the platter should be removed. I would pack the sub and top platters together (it will protect the thin aluminum top platter), wrapping them in shrink wrap. I think I'd also be placing crumpled newspaper, etc. in amongst the moving parts, anticipating a horribly rough ride across the pond. Make sure there is at least 2" of solid styrofoam (not peanuts) between any part and the inside box (and between the platter and the chassis), then 2" of styro between it and the outside box. If it moves when violently shaken, it is not packed well enough. These instructions might be difficult to convey. Good luck! Oh, make sure the seller does not remove the spindle from the platter, as you'd need some precise instruments to check for realignment. See The Analog Dept. for more info.

I am digging my Ortofon RS-212 arm with the Denon DL-103. As I said before, make sure the arm and cartridge match! We can help you with that...

Congrats Charles! That's actually a really good price for one in such nice condition. It most likely would have gone for more if it was a US seller.

Fini gave you excellent advice. $88 seems reasonable since it has no base. It shouldn't be all that heavy. He looks to be an experienced seller who should know how to pack so I wouldn't worry too much. Just send him an email with instructions and make sure it's well insured.

I went with the 3009 and still paid close to $500. It turned out to be perfect once Allan replaced a few parts which the seller more than compensated for. I don't know if the 3012 will sound much better but I'm very happy with mine. Just make sure you buy the "right" version SME for the cart you want to use.

Good luck!