PS3 BITSTREAM OR LINEAR PCM

DU73

Hi

Is Bitstream setting on my PS3 the correct setting for audio output or is it better on the default setting of PCM.

The sound is soooo much better with on the Bitstream setting.

When on the default setting of PCM my receiver does not recognise the audio signal (through optical) as digital or DTS but it does when PS3 audio out is set to Bitstream.

Problem is when I set to Bitstream a warning comes up saying that this setting can damage my speakers.

Is the Bitstream setting the correct setting for my set up?

That is correct.

If you set it to PCM, which is used for 2 channels, your receiver will not receive dobly digtal and DTS signal.

You must switch to bitstream setting in order to get a 5.1 signal

Most people use it as a game console primarly, hook up a directly to the TV. It make sense to have PCM as the default setting, so if you do not have a receiver for the decoding you can send a stereo signal to the speakers

If you would set bitstream instead of PCM, then send the signal directly to the TV ( only using the TV speaker system), that would be like having a 5.1 system without the center channel and the sub. You would be missing a lot information.

Isn't PCM the one you want if your receiver can't decode the new high definition formats? This is supposed to allow the ps3 to decode the signal instead of the receiver. When I use PCM my Denon shows that's it's getting 5.1 channels of input when I watch movies and play games. Also doesn't the TV or Stereo automatically downmix the 5.1 to stereo if it only has two speakers? When I watch blu-ray movies I use Linear PCM I think it's called and for DVD's and games I use bitstream.

You must switch to bitstream setting in order to get a 5.1 signal

Many thanks falcon20x - i most definitely need to select to bitstream for my amp to receive the dolby digital or DTS signal, if left on PCM then my Yamaha does not recognise the digital signal.

Canadian_Dude - I am the opposite to you - on Linier PCM DVD is shown as 5.1 digital but not Blu Ray, but when Bitstream then 5.1 signal is for DVD, Games and Blu Ray

Isn't PCM the one you want if your receiver can't decode the new high definition formats? This is supposed to allow the ps3 to decode the signal instead of the receiver. When I use PCM my Denon shows that's it's getting 5.1 channels of input when I watch movies and play games. Also doesn't the TV or Stereo automatically downmix the 5.1 to stereo if it only has two speakers? When I watch blu-ray movies I use Linear PCM I think it's called and for DVD's and games I use bitstream.

Not always

The first scan explains why you have a disclaimer when using the bitestream setting

The second explains why you sould set bitstream or PCM. The choice is base on the type of connection you are using, and I beleve that is were Canadian dude is confuse

The third scan is self explain

All of those come straight out my HD DVD manual. It does pay to read it sometimes