Help Hooking Up TT to DBX 118

Mr Tech

I recently acquired a DBX 118 to run my turntable through as Dave Mallette suggested sometime back in another thread.

I have a NAD receiver with no phono input, so I am using a NAD Phono Preamp separately.

I have it hooked it up as shown in the pics. The first pic is the NAD Phono Preamp & the second pic is the DBX 118. Simple setup, should work I thought.

What I get is one channel operation only. The other channel is dead.

Everything works fine when not going throught the DBX unit.

I checked cables, connections & all is fine.

Is there something wrong with the DBX unit or am I doing something wrong?

There is a paragraph in the DBX's manual that is confusing. It says:

"The 118 may be used to process a monaural program. Because the RMS detectors for the two channels are not independent, attempts to process two simultaneous, but different, mono programs through the 118's two channels will cause the channel with the stronger signal to dominate the compression or expansion in both channels. This will result in unwanted variations in program level in the channel carrying the quieter signal at any given time."

I am attempting to run stereo, not mono, through the DBX.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wade

post-21331-1381937455544_thumb.jpg

Guest BobG

There is just a channel out in the DBX. Could be something simple given its age.

The paragraph you quote from the manual merely explains that if you have two totally different signals running simultaneously through the two channels of the DBX, the channel with the larger dynamic swings is going to dictate the expansion applied to BOTH channels, which would be funky on the "calmer" channel. This is not the cause of your loss of one channel.

There is just a channel out in the DBX. Could be something simple given its age.

The paragraph you quote from the manual merely explains that if you have two totally different signals running simultaneously through the two channels of the DBX, the channel with the larger dynamic swings is going to dictate the expansion applied to BOTH channels, which would be funky on the "calmer" channel. This is not the cause of your loss of one channel.

Thanks for the explanation Bob on that confusing paragraph in the dbx manual.

Yes, I have pretty much concluded the the dbx has a channel out. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't due to my hook-up or anything.

I just got this off of ebay and the seller will refund on return of the dbx. Just wanted to make sure before I sent it back.

Wade