Subwoofer distortion

jose21

I just purchased a new set of Promedia 2.1 speakers, the mids and highs sound great, but is the distortion on the sub normal?

At low volumes the sub sounds awesome, with the sub level less than half. But as soon as I turn the main volume to half way, the low frequencies start distorting, like if the sub was bottoming out.

I just wan't to know if this is normal. Thanks for you input.

Guest BobG

Depends on how loud you're playing. Sub distortion is a sign you've passed maximum clean output Turn down the level coming from your sound card. Then, you'll turn up the level on the 2.1. In either case, the max volume before distortion is a hard limit.

now, before I say anything here, i just want to say that I love Klipsch and own several Klipsch systems, however, we are talking about 2.1 Computer Speakers here, these are not meant to replace a home audio system even though in alot of cases they can, but if you want serious output from speakers, you have to get more serious speakers, and a way more serious Amplifier to power them, I am not all that impressed with the BASH amplifiers that are in these Klipsch systems, but they do have a great sound quality and more than enough bang for most people, if you want more power, pick up more powerful speakders, Klipsch has a setup for almost any need. their 10" Home Theater self powered subs are amazing!!! if you are good with elctrical i would say to integrate that into your system, that should do it, lol.

But, to answer your question, at louder volumes it is very easy to get the 2.1 subs to distort, especially if you have alot of bass going through the eq, which by the way is definantly no neccesary, bring the low end down, kick the highs up just a little, and adjust the subwoofer from there for clarity.

Thanks for your replies. I started messing with my EQ setting and the distortion is getting better. Lowering the low frequencies on the EQ, and increasing the sub level on the speaker makes it sound louder with less distortion.

absolutly, EQ is key, these systems are not made to shake the house, they are made for clarity. although with the settings jusr right, they can put out a very impressive sounds at a higher decibel level than I originally expected, another thing you can do us upgrade the wiring to a better thicker wire with gold connectors for the speakers, makes a noticeable differance.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am hearing the same bottoming-out and I am almost certain this is not normal. I just bought a used set, and started to hear the distortion on the low-end. I played around with various test tones, and found that the problem is worse at about 35Hz.

Can you guys test to see if you hear the same bottoming out that we hear? I uploaded the tone here:
http://vipervin.com/doclib/35HzTone.wav

My subwoofer knob is at the 10 o'clock position and my main volume knob is at 9 o'clock position at the bottoming-out point.