Klipsch Fortes Restored!!!

rtomas

NICE work!! Now you need to restore them sonically, by upgrading your crossover networks (freshening caps or replacing the newtorks with a robust aftermarket type). I can help you on either account, please write me at popbumper1@sbcglobal.net if you are interested in hearing more (literally). These speakers can be far more than they are with stock networks!!

Chris

Richardson, TX

Chris,

Thanks. Yeah, I've been thinking about that - both with my original pair of Fortes and now with this restored pair. I had gotten a price from Crites for a cap kit. But I'm still trying to guage what the difference might be between replacing just the caps and replacing the entire crossovers. I was laid off a few months ago and this won't be happening until I'm bringing in an income. [;)] How would you characterize the difference between a cap replacement and an entire crossover replacement?

Roger

Roger,

If you wouldn't mind posting some of your pics here, that would be great. I know folks would be interested to see them there.

I've been trying to recover my password to log on at AK and haven't been able to do that. Bummer.

On recapping you crossover, the kit from Bob Crites is excellent bang for the buck. The caps are the only thing that's worn out on your crossovers. Recapping them (with the proper caps, which these are) will essentially return them to factory spec. It's nice of Chris to offer this as well. It's a good reference sound to know and you haven't heard it yet. I imagine you will be delighted with the improvement in sound.

Chris and others do some very nice upgraded crossovers for those who want to go beyond factory spec.

I ordered Bob Crite's cap replacements for my old Lascalas a while
back but only got around to installing them yesterday. I'm really
satisfied with the results thusfar, overall I notice a smoother, more
coherent sound from the entire spectrum. The proof is that I was glued
to the system until the wee hours of the morning... and I could've
listened much longer!

To post pics on this forum, just reply to a message.

At the top of that screen is a row of tabs.

Pull down the "options" tab and follow the instructions. click on "add" a file. It will open up a dialog box where you can browse and select your pic.

Then, to the right of that dialog box, click on "save" or "upload" after the file uploads the dialog box closes.

click on "post" your done.

As far as what I can manage, I've just gotten on pic per post. There may be a way to post multiple images, buyt I haven't found out how to do it.

Ok, I believe I have replicated here the entire thread that I posted on AudioKarma. It's in a new thread called "Klipsch Fortes Restored - The Complete Thread". You can get to it here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/105834.aspx

By the way, I was able to "jimmy" things to get multiple pictures into each of the three parts (original post and two replies). That was very labor intensive and involved loading each picture as an attachment, posting my edit, right-clicking and selecting "Properties" on the attachment link to get the URL of the picture, and then re-editing the post/reply in HTML mode to past the URL into the text. We'll see if the picture files stick around or if some garbage collection mechanics detects those files are not referenced as an attachment by any posts and decides to "clean them up".