Queen: A Night at the Opera in dts 96/24

boa12

http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/queen.pdf

this is what i'm looking for though don't know if it's out yet. queen i can give or take, but does have the oh mama mia song Smile.gif

it's 5.1 dvd-audio(mlp), BUT ALSO has a 96/24 dts 5.1 soundtrack.

i think that'd work w/ my 96/24 dacs & regular dvd-video player. however denon & pioneer are now touting they have the 1st dts 96/24 decoders. so confusin... cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 01-22-2002 at 01:40 AM

• 3 months later...

ok it arrived today & sounds pretty darn good. i'm not a huge queen fan but think they were pretty talented & pretty interesting to say the least. Smile.gif this has some of the old top 40 hits as well as some fine non-top 40 on it. even ends w/ "god save the queen". Smile.gif

this has tracks for dvd-audio (mlp 5.1), dts 96/24 (5.1), & pcm 96/24. as i've mentioned i'm not yet w/ a dvd-audio player, but this is the 1st i've found recorded at the much higher rates that can be done on a

regular dvd-video player. & as I hoped, on my dvdp display it runs at much higher audio bit rates. in fact it's showing TWICE the rate of a regular dts dvd and about 8 TIMES the normal dts dvd rate for pcm 96/24 (stereo). the display on pcm 96/24 stereo also shows it as 24 bit). it however is still showing the regular dvd sampling rate of 48k on my pre/pro.

as for sound WOW. the highs are just scintilating. so clear (as you you guys w/ dvd-audio know & then some).

there is a definite dif from the other dts music dvd beyond the mix itself, which btw is also well done imo.

brian may (the guitarist) put a lot of work into this, being postponed many times to get it right. 1st music dvd i've had that has video display of the lyrics

& other info that runs right along w/ the audio. it also has the infamous "bohemian rhapsody" video & some other extras.

either the pcm stereo or dts 5.1 sound great to me, each in it's own right. they've done some interesting mixing on the dts 5.1. again the b. rhapsody shines here.

my guess is the dvd-audio mlp 5.1 is 96/24 also. (don't know if they can do mlp 5.1 in 192/24 but maybe they have here). but i'm sure it's sound even better w/ dvd-audio & those 96k sampling rates.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa,

I too picked up Night at the Opera on DVD A.

I played it in all of the formats to hear the differences. The DTS 96/24 sounds very good compared to other DTS CD's I have. But the true potential will be realized when you here it played back in DVD A. It seems everything opens up! On the track The Prophecy's Song the imaging and detail are extremely good for a recording of this age. Upgarde to DVD A Boa, you will really appreciate the sonic quality. Currentley I have about 18 DVD-A disc's and about 9 DTS CD's. They seem to be releasing more every month.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

s-dog, i know i soon must. Wink.gif where is that new connection standard? Frown.gif

seems per the digital guys i'm off base on the bit rates. thought this had something to do w/ the sound quality. at least the bit levels do (i think). but yea dvd audio is the way to really get those resolutions.

i thought the sound quality on this was better than other dts disks i have, but maybe the 96/24 is just psycho-acoustics. anyway it sounds great. hopefully dvd-audio soon for even better. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page