New fronts for 5.1 RF-63's or 83's?

freestyle

Any suggestions? Need new fronts for my 5.1 setup. Demoed the 63's locally and was blown away. All the other speakers they had, and I'm talking some that were 3 to 4 grand a piece sounded like someone tied a pillow over them compared to the Klipsch rf-63's! It was crazy. No one locally has the 83's for me to hear.

The 63's could have had a bit more bass with music, which I'm sure the 83's will provide but I'm wondering if the 63's would be fine coupled with a powered subwoofer. Just wondering if the 83's would be overkill. I'll be mostly watching blu-ray's and some music here and there.

Hey man, thanks! My room is 17x23. 17 from the fronts to the surrounds. That's what I figured...lol......I mean the 63's sound killer and how could the 83's not sound better?My place has wood floors and 12 foot ceilings. What impact does that have if any?

I guess I just didn't plan on this purchase, just this week I got a new 52xbr4...sony str-dg820 avr and a PS3 for blu--rays. Now a tweeter on my 22 year old cerwin vegas blew out and no one has a replacement...lol.......I guess 22 years is a stretch though! Those things have 15 inch woofers!

I'd love to go with the matching centers and surrounds but for now everything else is from Cambridge Soundworks...Center is the center stage, and the PSW1 powered sub and cambridge rears. No probs with mixing and matching like that is there?

Ha.....I'm going to make it my budget!....I don't think I can get the 63's now....lmao.......What do you mean by a solid sub?.....The cambridge I have is about 8 years old and has a 12 inch woofer....it weighs in at over 50lbs!...Seems to be able to handle any 5.1 low bass that get's thrown at it...Or do you mean it's a mismatch to the speakers. Here is a link to old reviews of it...

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/cambridge-soundworks/subwoofers/powered-subwoofer/PRD_119260_2741crx.aspx#review0

• Moderators

My place has wood floors and 12 foot ceilings. What impact does that have if any?

Wood floors will reflect sound a lot sometimes giving a boomy or echoing sound. Large area rug can help tame this down a bit.

Now a tweeter on my 22 year old cerwin vegas blew out and no one has a replacement

What a shame. I hate it when we are forced to upgrade our gear.

I'd love to go with the matching centers and surrounds but for now everything else is from Cambridge Soundworks...Center is the center stage, and the PSW1 powered sub and cambridge rears. No probs with mixing and matching like that is there?

Definitely work towards the matching speakers that Klipsch recommend with whatever speaker you decide on. The Cambridge have totally different drivers and tweeters and will have a totally different sound altogether so that makes it difficult to blend with the RF series. Klipsch recommends the RC-64 center because it is timbre matched with the RF-63's and the RF-83's. That means that when sound is traveling from left to right (or visa versa) it will be smoothe and seemless as it travels from speaker to speaker. The RC-64 is a beast of a center channel. Save up, build it right and you will enjoy another 20 years like you have never experienced with your Cambridge.

• Moderators

I'm sorry, that was a typo. I have edited my post. The RC-64 is timbre matched with the RF-63's and RF-83's. I picked up an RC-7 a few days ago only because it was a deal I could not pass up. After we build our house, I will sell it and get the matching RC-64. You can pick up an RC-7 for around $250 - $450. Klipsch began making the RC-64 since the RC-7 was so high, it does not fit in many entertainment centers. Klipsch decided to go with four 6" woofers in the RC-64 instead of two 8" woofers in the RC-7. The RC-7 is ported where the RC-64 is a sealed enclosure. To me the sealed is better, especially if you want to put it into an entertainment center.

• Moderators

What do you mean by a solid sub?.....The cambridge I have is about 8 years old and has a 12 inch woofer....it weighs in at over 50lbs!...Seems to be able to handle any 5.1 low bass that get's thrown at it...Or do you mean it's a mismatch to the speakers.

Subs do not have to be the same brand as your other speakers. Do you have the Ensemble sub? I took a browse around the manuals on the Cambridge website. If so, it looks like the Ensemble sub is passive. This means that if you do not have a dedicated amp going to it, it will not perform as well as a good sub with a powered amp. My Velodyne has a 15" sub with a 250 watt amp and weighs 90 lbs. It's a beast of a sub and hits very low and solid. Cerwin Vega made loud boomy subs back in the day. Not necessarily the cleanest or tightest bass I have heard. Not to knock your sub but I've never seen Cambridge subs featured in Home Theater Magazine.

• Moderators

Wow, that thing is huge too!

Yes it is and I like it that way! Looks awesome taking up almost the entire space in my entertainment center. It weighs in at a whopping 42lbs, the RC-64 even heavier at a massive 61lbs.

I'm officially addicted!

Sorry to hear that cause they have yet to find a cure for it.

I'll have to post up some pics too.

[:P]

Definitely. We all love looking at other people's gear and setup.

• Moderators

Hell yeh it is.......I was shocked to see the massive size of that thing......I'm just wondering now if the shelf in the stand I just bought can support it.....lol.....I measured and it fits no problem.

That would definitely be bad...

Hey man.....I just got the 52xbr4 and bought the Slam Brands Ariel stand from Circuit City...The shelf is quarter inch thick tempered glass.....I emailed Slam Brands to find out what they say but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Now if that shelf won't hold it and I have to put it on the bottom of the stand, is that bad? I realize the RC-64 lets you angle it up, would that be all I would need to do? Or is sound comprimised that way?