Angle is everything!

Youthman

• Moderators

As I have stated in a previous post, I just purchased the RC-7. I hooked it up and ran the Automatic Speaker Setup (not sure if this is Audessey or not) to adjust for the new center channel. I demoed some movies as well as some concert DVD's. It was ok. Nothing super impressive, just ok. Ok, I was dissapointed. I have listened to the RC-7 before and was blown away by it but it was hooked up to a Yamaha receiver as pre/pro and a separate 200 watt/ch amp. A few days went by and I began to think of something. My entertainment center is pretty tall. The center firing straight forward shoots way above the listening level. Since the RC-7 does not have a post on the back to angle the speaker downwards, I placed an unwanted dvd case under the back of the speaker to angle the speaker towards my listening area. Boooya! That was it. Sound is amazingly crisp, bright, and in your face....just the way I like it. I say all that to say this.....angle is EVERYTHING! If you speakers aren't performing like you think they should, make sure that they are angled towards your listening area. This includes your front speakers. You should "toe" them in slightly towards your listening level instead of having them face straight forward.

Now that it was sounding better, I put in an oldie but a goodie...Vertical Limit. I jumped to the scene, "She's Gonna Blow". Oh my! The RF-83's paired with the RC-7 almost blew me away along with the actors on the screen. Snow was flying everywhere, an avalanch was in my living room. Bass was coming from the RC-7, RF-83's and my 15" Velodyne sub. Oh yeah....we're finally getting there. Gonna check out Transformers tomorrow! Now I just need to save up for my rears, an external amp and possibly a separate pre/pro and I'll be in serious theatre mode.

Thanks to everyone in this forum who has helped me with my new toys and for the great fellowship we have amongst each other.

Michael

Here are some pics of the new setup (before angling the center channel downward)

2596174523_ed309e8169.jpg?v=0

2596175181_845d92803c.jpg?v=0

2596174845_1f84c994c6.jpg?v=0

2597007266_b3efd7433d.jpg?v=0

2597007658_73fa594369.jpg?v=0

Since the RC-7 does not have a post on the back to angle the speaker downwards

You mean yours didn't come with one? Maybe I misunderstood you, but actually the RC-7 does come with a long screw to angle the speaker. It also has two holes for the screw for tilting upward or down.

• Moderators

Don't think holes on the back would do any goodGeeked I bet if you look on the bottom of the speaker, you will find two little holesYes

I gotcha. I looked on the back because on my previous Klipsch KV3 the post was secured to the back. It was a pole that had a screw that you could slide up or down to angle the speaker. It was also rounded on one side to help with this where the RC-7 is rectangular. I'll contact Klipsch to see how much the bracket cost.

Now that it sounds so good, I might not bother with the RC-64. We'll see.

• Moderators

Don't think holes on the back would do any goodGeeked I bet if you look on the bottom of the speaker, you will find two little holesYes

Yep I just checked. I see them under there. I think I'm gonna quit going to the gym and instead just keep moving my RC-7 around. [:D] Gotta love quality built speakers.

• Moderators

Just having fun with you..I have always wondered how the 83's and RC-7 sound together. I take it they sound great together...

I am no audiophile nor do I have superior hearing but to me, they sound great together. There is a smoothe transition between speakers during action sequences. I haven't demoed them that much so time may reveal more differences than I am stating. So far, I am extremely pleased with the quality. I wish it were Cherry so it would match but right now, that is a non-issue because you cannot see the sides because of the DVD's I have to the side of it and it it enclosed in the entertainment center. After we build and have a dedicated theater room, I might want to get the RC-64 for asthetics and to have the front stage timbre matched.

• Moderators

Thanks for the kind words and for the suggestion about moving the dvd player to another shelf. Guess I never really thought about how it is trapping the heat in the Onkyo and yes, the Onkyo's are known for generating quite a bit of heat. It's a pain but I'll see if I can move the DVD player to a lower shelf.

Hello again "Youthman".

I want to apologize for the mistake of identity regarding the model Onkyo receiver you currently own. After carefully reading your equipment listing, I realized that you do not have the 805 model for which my observation was based. The 703 is also a formidable AVR. Now, have you considered bluray technology? As I'm sure you know, the new hi-rez formats are here and your speaker setup is ready for primetime! You will of course have to upgrade your AVR. The Onkyo 805 comes to mind! For $699.00, there's not a AVR available in that price range that can compete with it's overall performance. And obviously, a 1080P capable television would be needed to take full advantage of the bluray picture quality potential.

I am now considering the RF63's. I recently purchased the Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 5.1 Speaker pkg. It was to replace my current Klipsch RF35 Pkg. Now, I'm really thinking about taking them back. They are still in the box brand new. The gameplan was once I moved into my new home, which was supposed to be this month but has been moved to next month, I would then unbox the new Paradigms, along with replacing some of my components (AVR, Bluray player, cd player). But now, I'm having second thoughts! I listen to alot of music, primarily 2 channel and at first, I thought that I had outgrown Klipsch. That's not the case at all! I've gain newfound confidence in the Klipsch products. I'll let you know if and when I return the Paradigms.

Regards.

Angle is truly everything when it comes to some of Klipsch's pruducts.

I can honestly say that when I angled my RF35's inward, the imaging was greatly improved along with the sound stage. Not only that, but with such a narrow room (11.6 ft), reflection was a major issue. Turning them inward also lessened the unwanted reflection.

I do still like my RF35's, but it's time to replace them.

post-31531-13819380505888_thumb.jpg

post-31531-13819391948542_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

No appology necessary. I will be looking to Blueray but to be honest, I will not be able to do much until we get moving with the construction of our new house. We thought we were going to have the financing secured this month to begin pulling permits but we cannot find a lender that will allow us to use the equity in our vacant land PLUS the equity in the home we will be building. We have everything in line except for a 20k - 30k downpayment. This is why we need to be able to use our equity in the home. In fact, I probably will not purchase any equipment until we get close to moving in, especially since technology changes so rapidly. In a year, things will get better and older items will get cheaper. Win/Win situation. And I'm very patient. If the RF-63's are anything like the RF-83's, they will knock your socks off! Pure bad to the bone speakers with style, power, dynamic range, and intensity. You can tell I'm not an audiophile by my choice of descriptive words. LOL. When I crank it with the Onkyo, it is extremely loud without breaking up. It's as if they are screaming, "Is that all you've got?" They want more juice....like 200 watts/ch juice. One day I will be able to feed their craving.

• Moderators

I do still like my RF35's, but it's time to replace them.

I hear some RF-63's calling your name! [:D] I know this sounds bad but you have a nice looking rack. [:P] Image is too dark to see your equipment. Do you have a separate amp?

• Moderators

Just got off the phone with Steve at Klipsch. I ordered the $7 parts that will allow me to angle the RC-7 plus $5 shipping. Now I have to move that beast one more time. I can already feel my biceps getting bigger. [:P]

So, if I get the 64 and it's too heavy for the glass shelf in my stand, is it going to be a problem to put in on the bottom of the stand? Will the supplied pieces that let you angle it be enough? Anyone else have the center at the bottom of their TV stand?