My subwoofer project almost 2/5th in...here is my progress.

TheEAR

TheEar,

If you have some time, could you recommend a 15" driver. I am currently using a Dayton Titanic III in a ported enclosure. Gross box volume is 7.04 ft3. Port is 6" x 33.5". Enclosure is 3/4" MDF. The amp is the rack mount Dayton 1000 rms. Current cut out is 14 1/16". Currently setup downfiring with port to the front. (I have 2 of these built only 1 w/driver)

I am happy with the Dayton but want to upgrade. I mostly listen to 2 channel audio and occasionally watch a movie.

Thanks in advance

Sean

post-23379-13819381359326_thumb.jpg

post-23379-13819392771442_thumb.jpg

The Dayton Titanic III has ~21mm of Xmax one way,installing a driver with 30mm of one way will increase velocity of air in the port and reveal port noise.

Sound quality wise a Acoupower 15" or CSS SDX15 would be upgrades,the SDX15 is only ~$ 250. The Acoupower is around $800. The Acoupower would be underpowered as it is a 8Ohm driver. The Dayton you have would supply ~500W.

SQ wise you would gain but not in a major way.The Acoupower needs a solid 1KW at 8 Ohms,I would recomend 1.5KW at 8 Ohms.