Calling mobile homeless and other tubies...

maxg

I have just order from ebay (UK) a matched quad set of JJ (Tesla) KT88 tubes for the sum total of £65 (about $100).

These are to replace my Sovtek 6550WE tubes I mentioned were on my amp when I bought it.

I worked on the theory that at this price I can hardly go wrong. Did I do well?

They sure look good....

i-1.JPG

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Ummm.... They might look good and they surely do but just wondering why you are taking the risk with tubes that are already in that price range? You can get BRAND NEW "matched Quad" JJ KT-88 from one of their dealers and a great guy with a guarantee for $129. This also includes a 24 hour burn-in and a 6 month quarantee. See below link for details:

http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/6550kt88kt90.html

Go down on that page and see pricing for matched pair and quads from JJ.

The problem with ebay is that it is a big gamble. And the only time I use ebay for tubes is when I am looking for tubes that would otherwiser be very hard to find or at a tremedous cost savings. If you can get the same set from a dealer for $20 or so more, then going with the dealer is the more prudent thing since it comes with a 6 month quarantee and burn-in. Of course if you can save a hefty amount, and are pretty sure of the source, then ebay is worth it.

The actual page for the JJ KT-88 is here:

http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/kt88jjmq.html

Note, this is a MATCHED QUAD meaning all have been matched to be close in tolerence. Now, this is not to say that your ebay auction did not come through in this area, but as I said, it IS a greater risk and you never know if you are DEFINITELY getting NEW tubes that are matched via an auction.

I wish you luck. If you can get out of it, I would spend the extra $30 plus shipping for the security. If not, things just might be totally fine if the seller has GREAT feedback or can offer a quarantee. LEt us know how it turned out. Problem is, if you dont have a tube tester, it is hard to know.

All the preceeding behind, CONGRATULATIONS on your new purchase! I have had some good luck finding NOS tubes on ebay for a deal; let's hope this comes through as well!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-24-2002 at 06:25 AM

He says both new and matched - it is a risk but it is just so much easier to get things shipped here from the UK than from the US.

If they are not good they are going to start my tube collection of ornamental adornments to my backside that my wife is planning!!

Still - they do look good...

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

maxg,

congrats on your tubes. I also won an ebay auction on set of new 300B tubes. Unfortunately the seller had first some computer problem and wasn't reachable for about a week and now he is outside the US until the first week of February. I'd certainly be more worried if I had already sent the money, and after all he had actually sent the winning bidder of another auction his tubes before any money was transfered!

Still, waiting for those tubes IS frustrating and if there was a way out, I would probably order directly from a dealer in Moscow.

Hopefully you'll like your tubes.

Wolfram

------------------

Without music colour becomes pallor, man becomes carcass, home becomes catacomb - Edgar Allan Poe

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Alternative system:

Quad ESL 63

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

On the subject of tubes, does anyone have any experience with "TJ Full Music mesh plate" tubes?

These are being offered on AudiogoN and through Sophia Electric . I am particularly interested in the 274B tube that is supposed to be a direct replacement for the 5U4GB, 5AR4, and 5R4 rectifier tube.

Any advice/information?

TIA!

------------------

Ed W

quote:

Originally posted by edster00:

On the subject of tubes, does anyone have any experience with "TJ Full Music mesh plate" tubes?

These are being offered on AudiogoN and through
. I am particularly interested in the 274B tube that is supposed to be a direct replacement for the 5U4GB, 5AR4, and 5R4 rectifier tube.

Any advice/information?

TIA!

Edster,

The original WE274B is scarce and extremely expensive (up to USD 600/tube). WE plans to manufacture it again but I wonder when and it will still be expensive...VAIC also offers a 4pin 274B replacemant. I have not heard any of these tubes, but I do own chinese made replicas (the ones you have been offered...). My humble opinion is that they are nothing special compared to good quality US made rectifiers like, for example, Tungsol 5U4G's. Still, I think the Mullards are the best of all and very reliable too. Try them and you won't be sorry!

Aristidis

www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm

Ole Edster already has an almost NEW pair of Mullard GZ-37 which is one of my all time favorite rectifiers and a perfect match for his Moondogs. I think the Mullard CV378/GZ-37 has the best midrange of almost any of the 5AR4 type of rectifiers. Some say it is a tad bit softer on top and bottom... to me, it is truly an exceptional compromise and really gives up nothing...with the addition of a very rich and natural sound, easily better than the 5AR4.

Those Mullard GZ-37 last a LONG time too. I would buy a backup, however. There are places to get them much cheaper as well. They are starting to go up in price. For a basic sonic comparison, buy a pair of inexpensive Sovtek 5AR4 to see how nice the Mullard GZ-37 is. The Sovteks are not that bad for the money but you will notice the diff. The 5AR4 Mullard is getting to be $$$$$$$$. I still prefer the sound of the GZ-37 in general...and you get a VERY long warmup time of close to 30 seconds.

ps- The GZ-37 and 5AR4 are not the same, by the way. Sometimes a sub is not recommend..depending on the transformer. The B+ current draw is different and an amp designed for the 5AR4 might have problems with the GZ-37 (transformer taxed). The Moondog circuit you have was designed for the GZ-37. Essentially the trans has to be able to handle 3amp of current draw...

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-30-2002 at 12:25 PM