Music server on hold, MR-1 in hand...

Mallette

Reports of CD death are greatly exaggerated, IMHO. Not a big fan, but there is still no other common way to spread music to the masses in anything like reasonable fidelity (I am ignoring mp3 as a useful medium) in a form they can access.

I long for the universial player and pray OPPO to get on the stick and do it.

Well, if you are going twice the price and 10 times the size for a theoretical audio improvement don't forget that the MR-1 slides nicely into the pocket as a talisman to keep away evil Ipod worshippers.[6]

Dave

Reports of CD death are greatly exaggerated, IMHO.

I'm guilty but personally, I don't burn CDs for myself anymore; friends, collegues, yes, but even then I get asked to "here just put it on this thumbdrive". But I do enjoy making mix CDs, printing to disc a cool cover, and mailing them to unexpecting friends, so it's not dead yet.

The Lavry AD-10 doesn't do DSD but what it does it does well, and the workflow will be SO much easier. Granted, if I really needed a field unit, the MR-1 might be the only way to go. I could do 24/44 or 32/44 for vinyl and just higher bitdepth for any noise reduction or EQ, but most likely I'll just do 24/96; I don't do much editing (NR or EQ) anyway.

I wonder how easily one could mod the MR-1 with a larger HD; an SD slot would have neat-O too.

DC

For my use, capacity is not an issue. The 20gb is plenty for an afternoon of LP transfers, then it all goes to my 2tb fileserver anyway. I also figure that is plenty for hornhead meets remote and such.

I have also wondered the same. They'd have to go out of their way to make the thing care how big the drive was and the form factors are all the same.

I'll let somebody else figure that out, though. Not really an issue for my use.

Now, if I could plug in a wireless G/N to it and transfer straight to the server, THAT would be cool.

Right now I am just reveling in the extraordinary sound quality that, when I first started in audio, required an Ampex 3/450 on wheels or 150 lbs. of Crown!

Life in a technological explosion is GOOD.

Dave

Not sure what your question is. As to DSD, yes. As to recording to disk, the MR-1 has a hard drive. If you mean burning SACD, no, they've made sure that format will not survive by making it very expensive to do...even though it inherently costs no more than a CD.

I am playing back the original files with Audiogate, which comes with the MR-1. I suspect plug ins for other things will follow. However, I am transcoding to PCM for other purposes, including Redbook and finding no audible losses not traceable to the disposal of information that cannot fit the selected format. In the case of high res PCM, I am not sure I am hearing any losses at all.

I have not edited anything yet, though when I have the time and inclination, I'll cut the impulse noises from those LP's that only have a few. The rest will either remain as they are or suffer mass processing through Sound Forge DNX. Since the source files remain, what the heck.

Neat thing is that now that we have digital that can really perform, denoiseing and such can wait until the software catches up without having to do anything distructive.

Dave

I should have been more clear. I was talking about the MR-1>PC Hard Disk transfer.

What's the typical filesize you end up with for an avergae length LP side?

Glad it's sounding so good. Nice to be able to archive and also "take your vinyl with you".

May be you can find a demo of this; it's pretty nice NR software:

http://www.algorithmix.com/en/descr_pro.htm

DC

Ouch. That must be very good software indeed at those prices... I am quite satisfied with the Sound Forge plug in at the moment. With very clean records with just a few pops i actually just surgically removed them. They are so well defined and narrow a clean excision is completely inaudible.

Average file size is about 750mb per side at 24/88.2.

Dave