Splicing wires

DU73

I have read previous post on this already. I need to splice one of the speaker cables to my surrounds. I have purchased “interconnects” is that the word re 4 banana plugs and 2 gold plated female adapters (whatever you call them) now the speaker cable is 12 gauge and the splice is in the house and not on the roof and there would not be a pressure point, re the cable would not be stretched. Now, is it ok if the 2 cold plated ‘interconnects’? touch each other, or should I just have one wrapped up in electrical tape. Also the ‘interconnects’ will just be lying on the carpet behind my tv cabinet, is this ok also. Thanks in advance

• Moderators

If you are going to splice a pair of speaker cable and connect it to another via an "interconnect", if that interconnect has metal, they should not touch each other. By touching each other, it will have the same effect as having wires cross. Can you say sizzle? Just to make sure we are understanding you correctly, can you post a link to the type of interconnects that you purchased that you will be connecting to the spliced wires?

• Moderators

I'm not sure if those connectors would do anything if they touched or not. I was thinking you were using a different kind. If it were me, to be on the safe side, if I did not want to put tape around them, I would put something between them (piece of cardboard, rubber etc) and use a rubber band, tie wrap or such to hold the two connectors together with the piece of cardboard between them. When you look at these bananna plugs, you will see that they have a rubber piece that separates the two cables. I'd rather be safe than sorry and fry something.

Dougdrake - I should of thought of that before, problem is I already brought them and the connecting banana plugs.

Youthman - they look terrific and very safe.

Conclusion.. I was able to seperate the two so they wont be next to each other, approx 30 cm apart. So all is good and happy with the sound.

Thanks guys for your replies and have a great day.