Custom-2 + Headphone amp

kissdadookie

Hey everyone,

I haven't been on here for a long while now. Quick question, I've always though that the Custom-2's while relatively well defined, still sounded slightly muddy. I have a proper seal (good oomph in the bass) but across the spectrum there's a lack of crispness and snap. I run these things out of my iPhone so I'm wondering if I should really run these through a good quality amp.

Now, I didn't realize how muddy the Custom-2's were until I've recently started using Ultrasone Pro 650's at home. The 650's have a nice sparkle and is very fast and snappy across the spectrum, and that's not running them through an amp. I would love to hear from those who have ran the Custom-2's through a quality amp and what perceivable difference they have found.

Another scenario could be that I'm just asking way too much from such tiny armatures. Basically I love the good bass but I miss the vibrant sparkle of the Etymotics. Let me know your findings folks!

I don't have the custom-2's, but have the Images. Maybe I can snag my co-workers custom-2's and run them through my Headamp Pico that I have connected to my iTouch.

To me, I definately prefer the way my Images sound out of the Pico. Don't get me wrong, they sound great connected straight to the iTouch, but I think the iTouch lacks the power to really drive them. With the portable amp, I find the bass a little deeper, more impactful, and the highs come in a little nicer. It just feels like the music is a little more alive. Better imaging, spread, clarity. Then again, some of my coworkers don't really notice the difference compared to me who listens for what 2+hours a day with the headphones. The only problem I can say is that I do depend on the DAC in the iTouch. I haven't done a comparo between my mp3's off the PC using the 24/96 USB DAC in the Pico vs running the same songs off the iTouch.

• 3 weeks later...

To answer my own question, I've recently purchased a Tomahawk from Ray Samuels. I've ran the Custo-2s through them and one thing has definitely improved noticeably, the soundstage. The congestion has now been cleaned up relatively well via the amp which is definitely a plus. However, the Custom-2s still do not have sparkle but I'm guessing that this is their sound signature, a warmer sound than the clinically articulate Etys.

To answer my own question, I've recently purchased a Tomahawk from Ray Samuels. I've ran the Custo-2s through them and one thing has definitely improved noticeably, the soundstage. The congestion has now been cleaned up relatively well via the amp which is definitely a plus. However, the Custom-2s still do not have sparkle but I'm guessing that this is their sound signature, a warmer sound than the clinically articulate Etys.

I've owned the Custom 2 since they first became available. I've tried the Image X10 and Image X5 but haven't gotten around to trying the Custom 3 when I've had a chance mostly because I have picky ears and really like the insane ease of use and comfort of the Image models. The Image X5 and the Custom 3 probably have the sparkle you're after. I'm not sure I'm the best at describing sound but while my Custom 2 and Image both sound incredible, the Image X5 sounded more open and clearer in the highs. So yes, definitely a different sound signature. I think the Custom 3 has the best bass and highs, while the Image X5 has better highs, and the Image X10 and Custom 2 have better bass. That said, I'm not sure the Image X5 were lacking in bass compared to my Custom 2 just that I liked the highs a lot better.

In one or more threads the differences are probably explained by Professor Thump and maybe others. You'll probably have to click on the more options button and update your preferences to see all posts as I think it defaults to those that are only 2 months old.

If you really want better highs you may still be able to return the Custom 2 and get a set of Custom 3, but they are I think $100 more while the Image X5 are $50 more than the Custom 2