Anyone here care to chime in?

fini

I didn't bother to re-read any of that cable stuff again, I agree with Jon Risch.Two comments: use teflon insulated shielded twisted pair with the shields connected at the preamp end only.Allied has some Belden for about $.50 a foot, I can't recall the number offhand.Terminate the amplifier input with the lowest resistance your preamp can drive and still sound good.Most amplifiers have an input impedance of higher than 20K.Most preamps claim they can drive 600 ohms.But they don't sound good driving a load this low.Try putting a 2.2K 1/4 or 1/8 watt resistor from hot to ground inside the RCA plug at the amp end.Or you can wire it across the jacks inside the amp.On a long cable this can improve the signal to noise ratio on the order of 10dB and really perk up the high end by negating the capacitance loss in the long cable.It is also cheap, resistors only cost a few cents each.The cheap, plastic handled, Radio Shack RCA plugs generally sound better than the big gold plated metal monsters.

Thanks sweet jesus...for once, I am not at odds with ole djk.

You'll have more of a problem with using that Denon as a preamp....heh..ok, I wont give you hell about the preamp. Actually, for a good, relatively inexpensive interconnect kit that follows Jon Risch's design, visit DIYCable.com and take a look at the "Skinny Ones." The kit comes with detailed instructions for the first-time kit builder.

http://www.diycable.com/interconnects.htm

They also have a forum where you can ask question and Kevin Haskins is a good guy. Give it a look. The quality is excellent. Wire ordered at any length.

Here are the parts included in the kit:

Belden Cable 89259

Teflon coated coax with copper braided shield over a 22 gauge inner conductor.

Four Cardas GNCM RCA males

Excellent Cardas RCA with quality Brass, Nickel Plate, Brass cover, Gold Plate, 9mm cable opening.

1/4" TechFlex

Black or Gray (specify when ordering)

1/2"x5" Heatshrink 2:1 Shrink Ratio

Acts as the strain relief and holds down the ends of the TechFlex

Kester 44 Solder 63/37

kh

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-25-2002 at 08:10 AM

I knew I was taking a chance mentioning the Denon (hehe).

Thanks for the tips! Looks like it's homework time. Gee, maybe when I'm done, I'll be able to supply some useful information here on the boards, not just misunderstood, wise-*** retorts.

Nah.

Hopefully, this project will turn out better than my horribly botched diaphragm replacement (the rest of the story to follow...).

fini