KSW-50... what is this thing? It's not bad!

MD1032

Hey all,

Well my ebay hunting abilities led me to jump on a KSW-50 subwoofer to add to my B3 setup for in my room in college. It was $34, and I picked it up locally, thus avoiding shipping charges and damages. It seems to be an 8" subwoofer, down-firing, with a port also facing down. The driver looks really cheap to be honest, but it seems to do its job and I could always throw another driver in there if I wanted an upgrade. Unfortunately Klipsch does NOT publish any data on their woofers or specifications or anything. I'd love to know what the Fs of this driver is.

This thing looks a lot like the KSW-10/KSW-12 series but it's definitely different. For one thing, the entire thing is made out of wood, including the port, which is machined from a tube of synthetic or real wood from the looks of it, as well as the feet. The actual weight of the thing is extremely surprising also... I'd say it's at least 30 pounds, and definitely built like a tank. I accidentally slammed my trunk down on it and the little bar hit the top of the sub and just deflected... not a scratch on the sub itself.

Anyway, this seems like it'll do the job. I connected it to my Fortes to test it out, and well, of course it didn't sound great since the fortes are designed to be their own subwoofer, but it didn't sound horrible, either. Really, for something that's only a little larger than the PM4.1's subwoofer, it's ten times better. It's not your typical cheapo boomy subwoofer. It doesn't dig that deep (I'm convinced this might improve with a better driver), but it certainly puts out a decent punch... way more than I'll need for my tiny apartment room.

Anyone have any info on this thing? I can tell the autoon is going to drive me nuts. Any way to short that out? Schematics?

Well this unit is limited to around 40hz,not much of a sub.More of a bass module for smallish monitor type speakers.For general pop,rock it is fine with the extension it is capable of.

$34 good,deal. How much sub would most get for $34...if any.

Yeah, that's the only perceivable problem I see with it. Still, I am convinced that with some modifications, it might be able to go deeper and be a little more useful to the already excellent B3's, which really perform well in the bass department, in fact. The enclosure seems sturdy, though, and is a nice size for my application (although I realize small size is exactly what the limiting factor is in most subwoofers). I'll have to crack it open and see what kind of damping material it has, if any.

Thanks for the link to the OM, Billybob. I found the other links already actually, and forgot that you could search old products on Klipsch's site still by using the search box.