4.1 ProMedia problem

Dregg

I want to begin by saying i had these speakers for a number of years without any problems. Last week i was playing some music (loud of course) and i went to adjust the bass from the subwoofer via the knob on the right front speaker. After doing so, the system shut down completely. The sub was hot so i unplugged it and placed a fan on it for awhile. A few days later, whenI plugged everything in, it worked normally. I didn't push it but i played music for about 2 hours, then shut everything down on the surge protector strip (no power to the sub when not in use) I tried to turn it on before to no avail. System will not power up.

Where do i begin looking?

Dregg,

I feel for you, since I have been there, done that, and got the TOFTT tee shirt after having to make several people (one in here and several at Klipsch) unhappy with me inable to get the information to repair mine.

I would start by checking fuses and for fatal damage. To do so you will need to remove the real pane on the sub box. Remove the outside screws and and look for a fuse being blown, any burn, hot spots, corrosion, oil, goo or signs of melting.

If looks is OK, you wil need to test the cable from the control
pod to the sub boxes sub connecton. This is a male 8 pin DIN. To do this remove the pod from the
speaker and open up you will see where the cable I speak of connects
to the board. Check the board for visable damage,Then using an ohm meter test all the connections from both
ends of the cable and where it connects to the board. I believe there
are 8 plus a ground.

Klipsch used to supply simple wiring diagrams, but due to their bullheaded
support team of lawyers (yes I said LAWYERS!), They have removed them
from this site and will not suppy them to us directly. I guess they want us to
buy new units instead of repairing our older units. If you need one I
may still have it or someone else will surely give it to you. You can test without this but it's easier with it

Thanks so much for the reply. I just got home as was all set to open up the sub when voila, it's working as i type this. If you can find a schematic that would be great. I have a feeling i'll be poking around looking for trouble in the very near future when this system shuts down again. I'm pretty bummed because i really like this system.

• 1 month later...

Still having problems with this system. Seems it doesn't always power up. I removed the amp and circuit board from the sub to visually check. Nothing looked or smelled burnt.

Like I said, the system doesn't always power up when I turn it off so.....haven't turned power off to the sub for 2 days. Will leaving constant power to the sub do any damage? I know the problem must be an easy fix for someone but I just don't know where to look. As i'm typing this, i'm enjoying my music once again.

Anyone have a schematic and a place for me to check?

Dregg,

I've been after a schematic myself. Klipsch flat-out refused to even tell me the value of a single resistor in the control pod, claiming it is proprietary.

I doubt that leaving the system powered will harm anything other than a small increase in your electric bill.

If you happen to have the original 4.1 system, and not the v2, would you mind looking at your R34 in the control pod and telling me the value of your R34? Or telling me the colors of its strips if you don't know the color code? Or sending me a picture if you are color blind?

-Joe

If you have the V.2-400 contact me via email and I will give you a link to a website that has some basic diagrams including items you can check and upgrade that have failed on others in the past. I would post the link here but I don't want the Klipsch Nazis to remove it:)

There are also links on the site to the pin locations for the v2-400 and the 4.1 din plugs. The problem you are having sounds like it is din plug related. I bet the pin for the +/- 15v is broken and causing an interment supply.

Hey Izen, by "Control Pod", do you mean the main speaker with the control knobs? Anyway, I opened the control pod and took a few good pics for you. I'll need your email addy to send them to you.

I really don't think it's a problem with the DIN plug but i'll definitely take a look at that 15v pin. It all started when I cranked up the bass when the system was hot. It just shut down. The next day, it powered up. Then intermittenly after that. The problem ONLY happens when I try to power up the system via a power strip. Sometimes it powers up, sometimes it doesn't. Once it's powered up, there's no problem hence the reason i've been leaving the system on constant power. It's been like this now for (4) days and it plays. I'm afraid to power it down again.

BTW, for everyone asking, this is the 4.1 BASH system i'm having a problem with. I don't know if it's "Version 1", or "Version 2". How do you distinguish between the two?

(Mr Clean), i'll keep you in mind if i need a plug rebuild.