Technical question about the KG 5.5

Hello all:

Today I purchased a pair of KG 5.5's for my younger sister and after taking them home heard a slight buzzing (not a technical term I know) from the lower woofer.

Questions:

1. Which woofer is passive, the top or bottom? Or are they both active?

2. I unscrewed the bottom woofer and could see no damage to the cones, faoming or anything else. Could this be an issue that I can't see?

3. If you discovered this problem suddenly how would you proceed? I assume that I can replace the woofer if necessary but am hoping I won't have to.

Any help would be appreciated...they were for her to match her KG 2.2V (that I also bought for her) and I feel horribly.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.klipsch.com/products/discontinued/details/kg-5-5.aspx

This shows the two bass drivers are both active. There would not be a passive radiator if there is a port, and there is a port.

I would play whatever recording you have that is exciting the structure to buzz, and then feel around the units. Some screws might be loose, etc. Light pressure might stop the buzz and then you're on the right track.

It is nice of you to make sure your sister has a good system.

Wm McD

If the buzzzing is coming from one speaker (woofer) and the other speaker is not buzzzing, just swap a good woof for the bad one and test.

Lay the cabinets on their backs. The woofers won't fall out when you descrew dem.

The 5.5 was a very good sounding speaker, and were a big hit at parties. Over time, the cabinets tended to self destruct after many hours of being driven hard. I wouldn't be surprised if alot of things inside, including the cabinets themselves, weren't loose. [:)]