Could someone please help with speaker selection

pbocci

Can I use SB-3 Synergy series bookshelf speakers with the Reference series center channel RC-3 II? I wan't to use this for home theater(movies and music DVDs).

I like the sound of the RC-3 II center better than the SC-1 for the Synergy series. I would by the full set of Reference series but I am on somewhat of a limited budget.

I would also like to the Synergy series SS.5 or SS-1 surround speakers.

Would the SS.5 match up well since the SS-1's seem large for the room?

This message has been edited by pbocci on 01-25-2002 at 09:31 PM

Having listened to both the RC-3II and the SC-1 with the SB1,2,& 3 I would also pick the RC-3II. I don't think that the SC-1 sounded bad at all, I just liked the RC-3II better and it did sound good with the SB-3.

I ended up buying a KLF-C7 because I was able to find some KLF-30's. UPS delived the C7 and one 30 yesterday. I hooked up the C7 with my Heresy's as fronts and watch Tomb Raider last night. Wow...I am getting antzy for the 30's.

if you plan on keeping your existing setup for a long time, then it would be a tough call: either go with the better-sounding center and bear the tonal mismatch, or go for the matching center, but bear with a lesser sound??

if you do plan to upgrade in a relatively short time, howeve, then I wouldn't even ask myself the question, and would definitely go for the RC-3II. i would follow the same argument for the rears, however, I would probably try to save money and buy lesser speakers out back, and spend the extra money on better fronts.

but that's just me.

pbocci - Here's a thought. How much, in total, would the SB-3s and the RC-3 cost you? (I'm assuming you haven't already bought the SB-3s, or that you could return them.) My thought is that among those 3 speakers, you might have enough for 2 RB-3s or even a pair of RB-5 (not the II models) on clearance. Skip the center for now and use a phantom center (your receiver will create a center effect using the front speakers). That will give you a perfect center match, 2 nice speakers for stereo music (the SB-3s are nice, too, just not as nice as the RB-3/5), and a perfect match for the RC-3 when you buy it later.

As for the rears, how big is your room? I have SS-1s in a 10x11 room and I'd like to upgrade to RS-3s to better match my fronts.

Doug

------------------

My System

I second what dougdrake said, especially if you're moslty watching movies alone, or if the people you're watching them with don't really care about sound.

a phantom center channel will replace pretty efficiently the real deal when you can be in the sweet spot all the time, especially if your room isn't too big.

This message has been edited by Seb on 01-26-2002 at 07:03 PM

For concert DVDs I defeat my RC3 and just listen to the RB5s to compare sometimes. The phantom suggestion is a good one.

I have moved my KSB 3.1 pair to the rear when I bought my RB5s 2 years ago. The RB5 is a speaker worth waiting for over the "SB series if you can afford it.