Poorman's Mono Blocks

BE36

I found an amp that is a good match for my HT preamp. The amp is not that expensive so I was thinking I could get one for each channel and only use 1 channel on each amp.

Would this have a significant sonic improvement? Would only loading 1 channel on the amp due any harm?

Taking all but 2 channels away from the intregrated amp seams to help that amp also?

Thanks, non-bridgable though.

Been running the center channel off the "Right" channel of an Adcom GFA-5400 all weekend. Seems to sound better then the integrated amp on the Pioneer. I like the sound of 535 II better, a little brighter but more base with amazing detail and imaging.

Running just 1 side of the amp seems to sound good, Hope the thing will not melt down.

High-end monoblock amps can sound really good, but using two mid-range amps instead of one mid-range amp is not likely to give you the performance improvement you're hoping for, since they'll have more serious compromises than just channel separation.

Using a stereo amp that's of better quality than the one you're using at present should make a noticeable difference.

If it's a multi-channel setup, you could use one of the bargain amps for the main speakers and another for the surrounds.

Thanks for your input.

The Adcom 5400 sounds better then using integrated amp from the Pioneer. The Adcom 535 II sounds a lot better than the 5400. Since they are only $100 I thought why not make them monos. The basis for comes from how the rears sound when I first used the 5400 for the mains, the rears sounded better. When I started using the 535 for the mains and the 5400 for the center the rears sounded even better again.

The theory I have is that there is less EMF and drain on the power supply as channels are unloaded and this could be applied to a two channel amp driving only 1 channel.

From the sounds of it there will not be much improvement. I think I will get another 535 see how it sounds, if no improvement it will drive the center or rears.

Saving for a better pre for 2 channel (Peach?) and maybe a better pre & amps for HT (Sounds pretty good right now, waiting to see what Blue Ray Master Audio etc. sounds like)