Heresy recapping

GLFMD56

Help! I recently purchasing a mint pair of 1980 Heresy 1's, and have decided to replace the 2uf caps. I have seen numerous opinions on what is the proper capacitor to use when re-capping the type-E crossover. I have seen many conflicting recommendations between the wide range of selections; use of Solens to the more expensive PIO's. Many have also cautioned on selecting a capacitor that will not add to the already forward and detailed sound of the Heresy. I am considering either the Mundorf Supreme or Silver/Oil due to its claimed smoother sound. Has anyone selected the Mundorf for this application?

Thanks!

Mike

I am far from the expert here but I will at least give you a reply. Your 1980 Heresys will benefit greatly with a cap refresh. They are all due, not just the 2uf. I did my 1983s a year ago. I felt like they didn’t really need it, but I could definitely hear a refreshed sound once they settled down. The Solens or other similar range cap will work just fine. That is what I went with, especially because the large 33uf could get expensive with the boutique brands. With that said, the 33uf is on the low side and not in the signal path, so it is not as critical as the other two.

Browse the archives here; I am sure there are tons of threads on the subject. There are also a few crossover tweakers here on the Forum as well. They offer revised (improved?) versions of the complete crossovers; much more than just replacing the stock parts.

Rick