Speaker noise question.

bignasty27

I am getting a buzzing type noise coming out of one of my speakers. I am running full RF7 package including 2 inwalls. I have a B&K amp 200.7 and a brand new Onyko Preamp. The connections are XLR balanced.

If I have the amp powered on with only the speaker wire connected, I get the hiss/buzz in one channel ( Left Front ). It makes no difference if the premap is on or off as well as the TV, cable box, dvd player etc. The sound doesnt increase if I turn up the volume. I just had the amp professionally cleaned and resoldered but I get the same issue. Any speaker I connect to this channel has the same result. For example if I connect the (Right Front ) to this channel there is noise but the ( Left Front ) has no noise because it is connected to another channel and those seem fine. Strange??

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Swap out as much as you can. Wires, interconnects, source (pre amp channel) etc. If it stays at the same channel I would think it was the amp. If the noise follows the preamp channel then that would be your culpret. Basically it's a process of elimination.

It seems to follow the amp. Any speaker wire hook up to the 7th channel gives me the noise, nothing else connected.

So everything else is totally disconnected from the amp (both inputs and outputs) and it sits there making a noise only in the 7th channel?

Ground loops don't normally show up in just one channel...