KW-120-THX, monster cable, Onkyo TXNR905 and Crown K1 - help?

rogert

Hi, bit of a rookie question sorry. I have just received my THX2 system. I decided to use a crown K1 to drive the sub rather than the Klipsh KA1000, so have removed one of the included Neutrik® NL2 Speakon® connectors off the included cable revealing a red, red stripe, black and black stripe cable. My question is which are the channel pairs - the reds and blacks, or the stripes and solids?

The Crown K1 has a built-in high pass filter @ 8 hz, but will not have the features of the KA1000 ( which has a proper filter just below tuning ) to keep the drivers under check, without the chance of over-excursion and damage. I am pretty sure that there is voltage limiting and other features not available in the Crown K1.

If you MUST use the K1, you absolutely need a device inline that has a high pass filter set just below the cabinet tuning frequency or risk damaging from spectral content out of band.

Movies like War of the Worlds have content down @ 5 hz, although not high in level, have the capabilty to damage ported subwoofer systems that don't have a high pass filter.

It's a four conductor wire used as two conductor. The 4 banger is used becaue it's rounder so fits the Neutrik headshell. Usually two are tied together for 1+/1-, that's the way the amp and speaker are wired- only two of the 4 conductors in the Speakon terminal is used. The cable is 4x14 ga so tying two together is about like a 2x12 ga wire.

There have been reports of some of the cables being shipped and wired incorrectly with a wire to each of the four terminals. This is incorrect.

Tech Support has wiring diagrams and details on how to work with the Speakon connectors in their database. 1-800-554-7724

My KA1000 has always been noisy, I hate it. You'll want a eq hump around 30 Hz shelving at +6 db also if you use other amp.

Yep, the 4 wires were each connected to individual terminals in the Speakon connector.

Sorry, but I'm still confused about what I need to do. Is there any chance you could spell it out for me as if I have zero knowledge, which is close to the truth. I'd get a professional in to install everything properly, but I live in Slovenia and apart from the language barrier I don't think there are any Klipsch dealers around.

Do you know if those wiring diagrams are online somewhere, I've searched all over the net but no luck as yet.

Michael, thanks for the reply, sounds like you are not recommending the K1?

It was a US dealer who recommended the K1 over the KA1000, said it was a better amp and better control. I was a little skeptical as I imagine the KA1000 is purpose built for the kw120, but being in Europe the US version of the KA1000 is 110v and not good for me.

As usual, I am in over my head, with expensive gear, and no local support, so it's a steep learning curve and the internet and wonderful forums like this.

I appreciate any help and support that can be offered. Anyone willing to hold my hand through this? ;)

You could send back the wire for a proper one if you wished.

With the K1 amp you'll want banana plug on one end. Here's how to rebuild your cable. Untwist the housing of the Neutrik connector, exposing the wires. One end you'll just disconnect altogether. On the other, take two wires (any two, just diagram how you did this) and connect them together. You'll need that little bundle small enough to fit in the 1+ (positive) side of the Neutrik so I just take each wire, cut away half the diameter of copper, do likewise to another connector, twist them together and tighten down in the 1+ side. Ok so far?

Now do the same to the other two wires, cut away half the copper strands, twist together, tighten in 1- connector.

At the other end of the cable the wire colors that you attached to 1+ go to the positive side of banana connector (you can get big single banana connectors for this that will accept the entire 'double wire' package. Same for the 1- wires but they go to the negative side banana connector. These will plug into your amp.

The difficulty that Michael H spells out is that the Klipsch KA1000 amp has special circuitry that is designed to complement the KW120 speaker cabinets. Nearly ALL subwoofers setups work this way. Due to the relatively small size of the bass box, certain equalization curves need to be made to make up for shortcomings in the cabinet. THis is generally a bass boost, but then you don't want the speaker to 'bottom out', so that boost has to be sharply cut off at the very low end or else damage can occur.

To do this really properly, you might consider using a speaker processor like DBX Driverack or EV DX38, but then we're adding a lot of cost to this system.

Might be best to just stick with the KA1000 and hope you get one that doesn't hum.

Michael

Probably the easiest product to obtain over where you that would suit your needs is a Behringer Ultragain PRO MIC2200, it combines a subsonic filter, a parametric EQ and also converts you to Balanced XLR as well from 1/4" plugs.

You would need an RCA to 1/4 TS plug cable, if you have noise ( ground loop hum you may need to use a TRS plug on the one end, and ground the shield at your receiver. From the Behringer you need an XLR - XLR cable to the Crown K1.

You would probably want to find someone with a scope or software to view the filter as you adjust it in real-time with an input into the device.

There is a discussion about the unit http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1002219

It was a US dealer who recommended the K1 over
the KA1000, said it was a better amp and better control. I was a little
skeptical as I imagine the KA1000 is purpose built for the kw120, but
being in Europe the US version of the KA1000 is 110v and not good for
me.

I think your US dealer is a bit misinformed.

The
amplifier on the KA1000 is going to outperform the K1 in both sound
quality and total output when used for subwoofer duty....and this is
coming from someone that is a huge fan of the K1, K2 series.

The
only "issue" I've run across related to the KA-1000 amp is that its
input impedance follows the THX Ultra2 Specification....which sadly a
lot of receivers and pre/pro's are not compatible with. I've even seen
elitest high cost gear (like Sunfire) that has had issues driving it.
If your pre/pro is Ultra2 certified, then you will have no problem
driving the KA-1000.

I can't help but wonder if your dealer has
run into that issue, yet never actually learned how to solve the
problem - and instead has ended up with the K1, which, when using the
unbalanced inputs, is compatible with normal lower level pre/pro
outputs.

But as mentioned, the problem with not using the KA-1000
is that you don't have any of the compensation circuitry built into the
amp. For instance, there is going to be EQ that compensates for
non-linearities in the drivers. There is also the protection circuitry
which should prevent you from bottoming out your drivers. Ignoring the
protection circuity is a very serious thing too - anything high-end
with subwoofage is going to be terribly susceptible to bottoming out -
it's only the cheap stuff that can get by without protection.

Would you be able to purchase a 220V version of the amp from a dealer in Europe?

I
understand if it's totally impossible for you to obtain the KA-1000 -
in which case there are totally some options you have for properly
implementing the K1...but it will involve purchasing another piece of
equipment. The hard part for us is knowing what you have available in
your area...

If the cabinets were sealed, there would be no need for a high pass filter, as a sealed enclosure ( air spring ) limits the amount of excursion. In a vented box or a PR based subwoofer, without a high pass filter, you risk bottoming the active driver below tuning.

There are a few options for a subsonic or high pass filter, like the Behringer product above.