Help choosing a new preamp/process

thecutter

I have an Onkyo 705. It is not great for music by any means. I think it lacks depth and dynamics. I added a new amp, Emotiva XPA-5 and an XPA-2 for my fronts. This seems to improve the sound slightly. I was thinking a needed a different pre/pro. Any suggestions for a good pre/pro?

I have Klipsch RF-63/ Rc-64 and RS64.

I was looking at Integra (Still an Onkyo????) or the new Marantz AV8003.

Would that improve the sound?  Is the flatness a signature sound of Onkyo?

I think flatness is an ailment of most AVR's. I tried the Pioneer VSX-49tx because it was supposed to be better in that regard. It is very good, but still a compromise and not up to par with the best two channel gear which is free of digital processing, video switching and multi channel amplifiers. I think AVR's continue to improve and many have raved about the class D receivers such as Panasonic and the new Pioneers. While I have found many multichannel amps that I could live with, I cannot say the same about processors which usually lack musicality for me, but then there are many I have not tried such as Integra.

A sunfire pre/pro has an analog direct feature which bypasses all processing for two channel taking it straight to the amp. It's my favorite setting. You can get one used for about the same as the new onkyo. IMO flatness is a virtue. As long as flatness leads to or means neutral.

If it's a true analog bypass then either your music playing components are at fault or we have different ideas of "musical." For me a direct source to amp gives you the purest rendition of the recording. If you are one of those who think that musical means coloring what's there instead of neutral then I can't begin to help you. You'll have to ask the tube guys about that.

I'd dump the whole lot and go for a Pioneer Elite VSX-49tx, or VSX-49txi. The i model adds a high speed interlink used with their own model SACD/DVD-A players, also great for cds. The touch screen learning remote is first class and so very easy to use. It's 7.1 (and should you not have 7 speakers) you can use the extra two amps to bi amp the mains. The preamp section is ridiculously quiet, probably because the enitre 70 pound chassis is copper plated. $4000 new, 500-750 on eBay or Audiogon. Best bargain in HT right now. It doesn't have HDMI. Big deal, run your video cables straight in. Probably better anyway, as you can customize your tv color settings that way. Use the 7.1 input for the new codecs (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD,etc.) and let your BluRay do the decoding. It has a terrific D/A, and iTunes sounds great through it. It even has a quality phono section and my vinyl sounds great, vinyl sounds cool in multichannel too. I'm using the same center channel as you and I am most impressed with the clear and natural dialogue. The auto calibration (complete with mic) is very easy to use (as well as turn on or off) and improved my system. I really can't believe how cheaply these are selling for. They kick the heck out of the new Pioneer's which are not built nearly as well and are half the weight, and they no longer offer this excellent remote. It has pre outs, so you could compare your existing amps, but I doubt they'd sound better. Many forum members use this AVR, and some push RF-7's which are a finicky speaker. I think it'd be a great match, and bi-amping the RF-63's would improve them further.