Please help, I need some closure!

Jackooze

Hey guys, before I begin I just want to let everyone know I am a complete newbie when it comes to home theater. I just finished renovating my apartment, where I ran 22 gauge speaker wire through my walls in my living. Me being the smart one thinking the higher the number the better the speaker wire, oh how wrong was I !!! So after the apartment was finished in renovations I bought the Onkyo tx-sr 606 receiver and the klipsch XL home theater system. Today I find out that I choose the worst speaker wire there is which will not work well with my speakers. There is no way I can change the wire unless i run them outside the wall which I don't want to do.

Will the gauge wire really make a difference with audio quality I will have or am I completely screwed ?? I am freaking out here thinking that the in wall wire was all a waste due to my stupidity and lack of knowledge in audio.

Can you tie your higher-ga. wire to one end of the 22 ga. and pull it through from the other end? I've done that to pull cables through openings in the back of cabinets, for example. Hopefully you bored somewhat large openings in the studs or whathaveyou. Solder, don't just tape, the ends together so they don't pull apart half-way through!

Put tape over the junction so a rough edge won't catch on something.

I don't think I'd like listening to quality audio through 22 ga. wire. Others need to comment, but I like 16 or 18 ga. as a good compromise for threading holes and turning corners that I can't see.

All is not lost! The lenght of the wire as well as the guage has a bearing on the end result. What are the lengths of the runs to the rear/side speakers and the front left and right? With this information then the problems, if they even exist, can be addressed.

Larry

Thanks for the reply, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment where I don't have that extra space to run the wires down like that. The only thing is cutting the walls and putting the wires in, which after the walls get plastered and painted over. This is how I am screwed by not being able to change the speaker wires.

The center channel and the right and left front speakers are O.K.! In general the 'experts' agree that a 22 guage wire at 8 ohms is fine to 12 feet. Your speakers will be probably be greater than 8 ohms over most if not all of the frequency range, so 13 feet will be fine. The rear channels may present a problem. Fournately they are not as critical as the front stage. IMHO the main problem will be that they will require more amp power to drive them. Listen to your system and if the rear channels blend (you really do not want to hear them, just sense that they are there), then enjoy your system.

Hope this helps give you closure.

Larry

Thanks for the reply, I live in a 1 bedroom apartment where I don't have that extra space to run the wires down like that. The only thing is cutting the walls and putting the wires in, which after the walls get plastered and painted over. This is how I am screwed by not being able to change the speaker wires.

Are you saying the wires are pastered in the wall, not just threaded though the space between the studs in the apartment?

Also, when the wire was put in, did you get plenum rated wrie? It is required in businesses, not sure about residences.

If there is space between the studs, wire can still usually get pulled without opening up the walls again.

Bruce