Subwoofer wiring help

wsu99999

I have a DVC Subwoofer and I'm running a plate amp that has 2 sets of speaker wire coming out of it. I'm pretty sure that you would need to have both sets of wire to have the amplifier run properly. Does anyone know if there is another way to hook this up aside from just running both pairs of wire to each voice coil? With dual speaker wire coming from the plate amp, can I drop the ohm's on the sub by running in parallel?

Does anyone have any info on the Swan amp I'm using? I hooked it up to my existing subwoofer (dual M&K VX-4s) and the old M&K hit's much harder and it's only like a 50w amp. The swan is extremely beefy and would appear to be a good amp. Anyone know what the problem could be?

I would wager that your amplifier's wires are just paralleled at the output of the amplifier....so really you would only need to run one set to your speaker.

As far as your DVC sub...it is general practice to hook the speaker terminals together and then connect to the amplifier with only one set of wires. So if each coil is 4 ohms, then connecting them in parallel (red to red, black to black) will yield a 2 ohm load to the amplifier (which would have one red wire on one red terminal and one black wire on one black terminal). Connecting them in series (one red terminal to one black terminal) will yield an 8 ohm load to the amplifier (which would have one red wire connected to the empty red terminal and one black wire connected to the empty black terminal).