Vinyl vs. CD @ HD. Score sheets and music from A.C.A.

skaloumbakas

What's the finest resolution you can have with a Redbook CD?

Approx 96dB

What is the finest resolution you can have with an analog LP?

Approx 65dB, at best.

Now, I realize that I'm using noise floor interchangeably with resolution, but these numbers describe the dynamic ranges of each source and CDs are approx 30 dB better than an LP. 1000 times better.

And that isn't considering LP's higher non-linear distortions. Or the distortion introduced by the compression that must be used to get it all onto the vinyl.

Having "infinite points" of resolution is no good if these 'points" are distortion.

Digital systems do have decreasing resolution as fewer bits are used (lower levels) but one would have to go below audibility for a CD to be worse than LP, distortion-wise.

Soooo, we should go back to analog TV? Or analog cell phones? AM radio? Carburetors? Of course not. And of course you have the right to listen to any source that you wish, or drive your Model T, just don't imply that your Model T is better than a new Taurus, it isn't. And please don't get on the Interstate with the thing. You will be holding up traffic.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don, I don't think it unreasonable to consider dynamic range a component of resolution. "Resolving" something implies more than just grains or bits. If the original dynamics are altered, the playback has not been resolved accurately.

That's why I've been using dynamic range restoration since long before digital. I find most good LP's more like in the 40db or less range. I don't know of any with at 65. Love to find one!

Dave

If resolution means accuracy of representation, then they are in fact interchangeable.

Yezzir. To resolve something, in my experience, means to restore it to it's original state. I was first introduced to the concept when I learned film sound. "Resolveing" the audio meant re-synchronizing it with the film so what you saw and heard seemed to be what you'd have experienced if you'd been there.

I recognize that many here would not have that take, but it works for me and as far as I am concerned the original dynamics of recorded sound are just as important as the complete frequency spectrum.

Dave