David Gilmour 'Live in Gdansk'

askbob1

for all of you floyd heads out there(indy, etc), here is another good one to add to your collection! gilmour's 'live in gdansk' is basically the same song list as the 'live at royal albert hall' set, with the exception of a few different tunes. there is a symphony orchestra on the sidelines as well. i got the 4 disc set which includes 2 dvd's, and 2 cd's($40). the first dvd is the entire concert. the second dvd is some of the same songs performed elsewhere. the second dvd disc also includes a dts 5.1 surround (audio only) version of the album 'on an island'. the best part of the second dvd, atleast in my opinion, are the three jam sessions recorded in an old renovated barn turned studio. you see some really great shots of everyone having a genuine good time, including the late richard wright. the two cd's are and added bonus with all of the concert on them. the video is very good and sound is also very good in dolby d.

post-29392-13819418242916_thumb.jpg

Gdansk, Albert Hall,and especially Meltdown are an absolute joy to behold. Gilmour is one of the worlds premier rock guitar players. On these videos he's performing at the beginning of the twilight of his career, completely at peace with himself and his music. I get goose bumps every time I watch them.

...Gilmour is one of the worlds premier rock guitar players. On these videos he's performing at the beginning of the twilight of his career, completely at peace with himself and his music. I get goose bumps every time I watch them.

Well put, wpines. I feel that when I watch the the Pulse DVD.

From a superficial search, I found the lowest price for the 4 disc set at Amazon; $33 w/free shipping. I eagerly await.

Gdansk, Albert Hall,and especially Meltdown are an absolute joy to behold. Gilmour is one of the worlds premier rock guitar players. On these videos he's performing at the beginning of the twilight of his career, completely at peace with himself and his music. I get goose bumps every time I watch them.

same opinion here. i think the albert hall dvd is probably the pinacle of gilmour's twilight. for me, it is a real treat every time i watch that one. goose bumps for sure. ole dave's voice just never gets old! but then neither does the guitar playing. you can really tell all of the people involved in that band lineup are all enjoying themselve as well. hopefully he gets back to the states so i can see with my own two eyes.

post-29392-13819418362182_thumb.jpg

Some easter eggs; info from a fan site. I hope to get the cd/dvd set soon:

From a fan site, about easter eggs(hidden extras):

"According to Wiki, there are hidden Easter Eggs on the two DVDs:

1)
Play the "Gdansk Diary", at the very end (after the credits) the
Wireman will appear, when he does - click your "Enter" button to see
more from the documentary

2) On Disc 3 (the Gdansk concert DVD),
go to Track Selection and hover the cursor over "Echoes", after a while
it will begin to blink, when it does hit "Enter" on your remote
control. This will lead to a video of David and Rick explaining to the
rest of the band how Echoes was written.

3) Another hidden
extra lies behind Barn Jam 166. On the main menu of Disc 4 go to
[Performances] > [Next] and highlight "Barn Jam 166", then hit the
left-directional button on your remote control this will take you to
another menu asking if you want subtitles or not. This is a video of
Dave and Rick talking about jamming at The Barn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...