The final word on Fortes (please)

anarchist

Ok guys,

Here's the deal. I have had my system intact for two years and the upgrade bug has been biting me hard for 6 months; about the time I started reading this board religiously. I have decided I MUST buy a new set of mains - not that I will ever get rid of the old set - and am thinking Fortes or Choruses must occupy a piece of my HT.

Perhaps I will use the KG4's as rear surrounds, who knows? I just love these speakers.

I listen to all kind of music - classical and country the least - but primarily like rock, alternative, blues, and jazz. I am also a big time movie buff so 5.1 performance is a must. Real simple. Should I buy Forte, Forte II, or Chorus II? Is the sound difference between Forte (either) and Chorus worth the difference in the price of admission?

Look forward to your thoughts cause I got a pocket full of quarters and it is time to buy something! Keep in mind, the wife believes we need a new car and I am trying to get her to understand we have to prioritize our purchases - so sound advice on the best possible speaker choice is absolutely crucial!

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

This message has been edited by crash827 on 01-30-2002 at 09:10 PM

crash...

I have lived with a pair of Fortes (original series) for over 13 years now, and they still amaze, dazzle, send me into euphoria, insert your own synonym.

I can't report anything first-hand about the Forte II, I just know that I have read other reviewers state that they don't quite match the originals for creating a realistic soundstage.

I have heard the Chorus up against the Forte, and while having the greater sensitivity and, therefore, possessing louder output than the Forte, I found the sound to be a bit more colored; especially in the upper-bass to lower midrange region.

Shortly after hearing these, I saw a comparison of the frequency response of the Chorus as opposed to the Forte, and there was indeed a spike in the mid-upper bass.

There are a lot of very happy Chorus owners out there, and if you get a chance to hear both (admittedly difficult, since they are no longer in showrooms), that would be your best course of action.

Bear in mind my initial impression of the Chorus was made years ago, and there are countless variables to take into account; variations in spacing, source material, room acoustics, or my crusty memory, or my own personal tastes in what I think sounds good.

In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Chorus or the Forte, but I can speak (reliably) only for the Forte...

...and if you really have been reading this forum religiously, you might want to hold out for Cornwallscwm16.gif.

Hi chuckears,

Thanks for your input. Cornwalls! I know everyone touts them but they are just too wide in my opinion. Perhaps one day - the Klipsch crusade never ends you know.

Religiously? There are 180+ posts that are returned if you do a search on Fortes. I have read them all. I have also read all the reviews on audioreview but the owners on this board hold more weight in my mind.

My eyes are currently on a set of original Fortes and also a set of Choruses at the moment. I just want as much direct feedback as I can get on whether Forte II's would be a better choice than the Fortes. Folks mention the K-61 midrange as being great which leads me to think Forte II's.

C'mon members. I need more input. Forte vs. Forte II vs. Chorus II. Help!

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200