Quintet vs 1.1

sab323

It will also be an upgrade for HT. You'll get richer sound out of the 1.1s than the Quintets.

The reason for the SC-.5 center is that you want to have a center speaker that is matched in terms of tone/timbre to the side speakers, so that as sounds pan across the front you don't here a change in tone (which is disruptive to the whole "immersion" concept). The Quintet center is matched to the Quintet satellites. The SC-.5 is matched to the 1.1's...You may not hear a difference, but just be aware that you might, and be ready to get a SC-.5 if it bothers you.

Doug

------------------

My System

I definitely suggest upgrading the Quintets to KSB-1.1s. The 1.1s have a 5.25" woofer vs the 3.5" woofer in the Quintets. The larger woofer in the 1.1s is especially useful in my setup where my HT receiver sends all bass below 90Hz to the subwoofer. The Quintets' low freq rating of 100Hz creates a 10Hz gap between where the subwoofer ends at 90Hz and the Quintet takes off at 100Hz. Since the 1.1s' low freq rating is 65Hz, which is well below my HT receiver's 90Hz cutoff to the subwoofer, I no longer have the 10Hz gap. The 1.1s are being auctioned (current bid $39 each in sets of two) on uBid.com right now. The real kicker is that uBid.com is the only authorized Klipsch dealer on the web; which means you get great prices and still retain the Klipsch warranty.

Your present center channel speaker may be fine, but if it's not as good as the KSC-C1 center and doesn't match the 1.1s crossover at 2800Hz, I'd also recommend upgrading to it. The KSC-C1 has the exact same tweeter and woofers as the 1.1s and is a sonic match with an identical 2800Hz crossover. The KSC-C1 is also being auctioned on uBid.com right now. I know it's an extra $123 with shipping (if the curfrent $99 bid holds), but try to scrape up the extra money if at all possible. I think that purchasing the matching 1.1s and C1 will be a very nice upgrade and definitely worth the extra cost.

One other thing that you might be interested in if you do get the 1.1s. I found the Vogel Sat-5 wall mounting brackets for them at yawaonline.com for $32.99 per pair. Check them out.

This message has been edited by fpfeifer on 02-01-2002 at 12:52 AM

This is all very excellent information. For know I will have to state with the center I have. Also it is all built into the wall and unless the C1 is exactly the same size I would be in trouble hacking the wall apart. My better half will already be very blaslitic (sp) with this additional cost. Couple additional ?s

Would I still set the fronts to SMALL on the receiver?

Is there any other way to mount to wall without the added expense of the hangers you recommended?

Thanks for you patience with me.

sab323 - I don't know if the Vogel Standdesign SSB omni directional brackets will fit the 1.1s. The Klipsch KBS 1.1 cut sheet specifically mentions that they have a provision for the Vogel SAT-5 mounting bracket. You could email Vogel Sales at sales@yawaonline.com if you're interested in their Standdesign SSB omni directional brackets.

The 2.1s don't have any mounting holes or slots like the 1.1s and are more wood-like than the plastic 1.1.The 2.1 is almost twice the weight at 11lbs to the 6lbs of the 1.1.

I use my 1.1s as the TV speakers of my old 52" RPTV RCA.The 5 wpc built in amp drives them nicely.Sound so much better than the built in speakers.Go figurecwm35.gifHard to tell they are that small.I only use them when I don't want to wake anyone else.

The 2.1s are in the bedroom HT and sound very good.They match very well with the SC-1 center and SS-1 surrounds.The SB-3,2 and 1 are also a fine speaker(SC-1 & SS-1 mates),they are the KSB replacements.

The 1.1 will be a nice step up for you,never heard mine clip with the weak TV amp or distort when they were used with an 85 wpc reciever

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 15" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

106"16:9 screen w/NEC LT150 front projector

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

sab323 - You'll survive just fine. If you find the tonal mismatch unpleasant, there's a concept called Phantom Center which might come to your rescue. It means you run your receiver and tell it you have NO center channel. The receiver will use the 2 fronts to create a "phantom" or virtual center speaker effect. It will be an exact match to your mains ('cause your mains are creating it). Many have used this method interim to buying the center speaker they want.

There is a thread elsewhere in this Forum about phantom speakers (it's in the thread title...) which gives quite a bit of insight.

Doug

------------------

My System

P.S. - If I am using the 12" sub would I have to spend the extra $$ on the 3s or go with the 2s. I know one should hear these things before going ahead; however, I am familiar with the Klipsch and you can never get a true reading as to how they will sound at home when listening in sound room.

Thanks for all your help