New HK 354 HDMI problems

modoc48

Hi everybody, July 4 laid down $850.00 on the not yet out 354. Recived it Aug. 1 not bad i thought, hooked it up to my 4year old 60" sony with DVI input with all my sources into the AVR with HDMI. Everything ready turn it on and get a picture on the display for 1 sec. then a lot of colors flashing like it was trying to grab on to the source handshake if you will and that is as far as it went. BUMMER! Everything works fine componet, optical. Long story short call HK they determine it is defective and off it goes, Oct 6 # 2 shows up same thing. Now HK says after talking to many techs there, that i need a HDMI to DVI cable with a repeater in it liks something for long runs. After calling alot of places which most of them did not even know what i was talking about i ran one down but he was skeptical if that was my issue. anybody have any thought, they would be greatly appreciated.

well modoc that really sucks, I love the way HK sounds with klipsch speakers, unfortunately I had the same probelm with older models of the HK recievers with HDMI. Everything else work compltely fine but the HDMI output. The sources I had connected in to HDMI and then back out from the HK had like sparkles and colors every where but the component stuff worked fine. I tried 3 different HK boxes each time moving up in price until i said "f" it and looked at other stuff. really stinks they haven't fixed the HDMI issue yet. That HDMI feature is a real selling point these days and with out it working properly it's a waste of money.

I hope you get it figured out.

My 645 would wash everything pink that came in via hdmi and via YCC 4:4:4. I went round and round with HK about it - because they claimed their unit was HDMI 1.3 compliant, which supportsYCC colorspace. In reality - it only supports RGB, making it 1.1 compliant. I liked the sound and other features of it enough to just buy the Oppo HDMI switch and use that instead for HDMI video source selection, running all audio through the HK.

Your issue sounds like handshaking - but the HK or the TV should pop up a message on the screen indicating such. The Oppo switch is also a repeater, which means it handles handshaking itself as well - so you might get lucky and it will fix the issue. I wouldn't go the DVI route until I tried that first, myself.

My 645 would wash everything pink that came in via hdmi and via YCC 4:4:4. I went round and round with HK about it - because they claimed their unit was HDMI 1.3 compliant, which supportsYCC colorspace. In reality - it only supports RGB, making it 1.1 compliant. I liked the sound and other features of it enough to just buy the Oppo HDMI switch and use that instead for HDMI video source selection, running all audio through the hk

I disagree with you on that particular model. If was not
1.3 compliant I would never be able to get my blu ray player to work properly
with it then.

I have had the pink issue with my HK 645 but it was due to operator error. Check you setting under video monitor, make sure you got HDMI/DVI. Also check the video processing under in/out set up.

Last but not least are you using the proper HDMI cable?

Falcon - the settings were right. The 645 was released prior to the 1.3 standard being determined. If I changed the colorspace on ANY device from RGB to YCC 4:4:4, it washed pink. Any time the Motorola DVR is powered down, it switches from RGB to YCC, and this makes the 645 throw fits. If I change the colorspace on any of the other HDMI devices, it does the same (the HD-DVD washes more purple) So long as I can get the colorspace to stick, it wouldwork fine.

*shrug* ymmv.

Falcon - the settings were right. The 645 was released prior to the 1.3 standard being determined. If I changed the colorspace on ANY device from RGB to YCC 4:4:4, it washed pink. Any time the Motorola DVR is powered down, it switches from RGB to YCC, and this makes the 645 throw fits. If I change the colorspace on any of the other HDMI devices, it does the same (the HD-DVD washes more purple) So long as I can get the colorspace to stick, it wouldwork fine.

*shrug* ymmv.

I don't know what to say about your issue but I do not have any problems with mine. May be it came with a software upgrade on it, might worth checking into it.

Sorry I do not know the 354 menu, so I really can't help