Perserving a pair of Heresy's

TimCar

I just returned from a 300-mile trip to pickup a used pair of 1986 Heresy II's (H-II BR) in natural Birch. I didn't want to have them shipped, so I flew there, rented a car and drove them back. They are in near perfect condition and sound excellent. No finish was ever applied to them.

My question is I'm new to all this and need some advise as to my options on protecting the wood. Although I don't plan on it now, I may someday want to sell these and upgrade to a set of La Scala's or Klipsch Belle's and I don't want to do anything to devalue them.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Beautify, protect and enjoy is what I suggest.

From what I have seen, condition and finish count but not originality. If the speakers were true collector's items, you would certainly maximize their value by keeping them in original condition. But we don't seem to be near that point, at least in the U.S. Maybe in Asia. Maybe some very early Heresys (H700s).

If you get water marks or other stains on you speakers, the value will diminish significantly. A clear finish will protect and beautify and IMHO would be a good idea. It might even increase the value of the speakers.

I would not suggest trying to stain the cabinets. Birch plywood blotches and is difficult to get a consistent stain on. I would recommend a modern clear finish like Varathane Diamond Wood Finish. You could also use an oil finish, but it won't protect the wood from scratching like a hard finish.