Getting static on phono input of Scott 299A past 4 on the volume

Shade

I'm getting a lot of static on the phono input of my Scott 299A past 4 on the volume. Below 4 it's clean & quiet, and I've no problems with the tape & tuner inputs. Tried unplugging the turntable, and switching to pickup 2, and still have the same problem.

From an old post I found, the 2 12AX7s on the left should be for the phono stage, & the 2 on the right should be for the preamp functions. The 2 on the left are Fishers I think, labeled made in west Germany, and the 2 on the right are Telefunkens. Was thinking maybe the Fishers went bad, so I tried swapping them with the telefunkens, and still have the same problem.

Could all 4 12AX7s be going south on me, or is it something wrong with the amp? Except for the EL84s, all the tubes came with the amp when I bought it. Had them tested maybe 4 years ago and they were ok, but it's been a while. Also, If this is normal, please let me know. I haven't used it for about 2 years, and am finally getting it set up again. For all I know I just don't remember it doing this.

Thanks

• Like 1

Shade,

Long time no hear stranger! How goes it?

Yup. Send Craig an email. He'll know right off the top of his head. Have you deoxited all your controls? Tuner cleaner works well too. I'd try that first although if all the other sources are fine.................???? Probably something inside.

- Gary

Hi Gary. Yeah, I haven't been around here in a while. Kind of hit a wall with what I could do with the stero in an apartment, and got sidetracked with a few other hobbies. Finally got myself a house I can enjoy the stereo in. Was keeping pretty busy working on it for a while, but things have finally slowed down, and I'm getting bit by the stereo bug again. Was able to set up a 2 channel rig separate from my HT finally. Trying to get that going, & hopefully a sub for the HT. I guess it never ends [:D] How've you been?

I didn't try cleaning the controls. It's not that the volume knob gets scratchy past 4, there's just a lot of constant noise past 4. Can't remember the right term for it. But it's perfectly quiet below 4.

• Like 1

Thanks for suggesting getting in touch with Craig. Emailed back & forth a number of times, and it sounds like it's probably moisture retention with the resistors in the phono stage. Just need to run the amp for a good while & see if it clears up some. He also suggested de-oxit for the controls & connections, as I was also having a bit of trouble with the RCA terminals.

This is the 2nd time Craig has gone out of his way to help me out with this amp. Definatley a good guy.

• Like 1