Want to buy HDTV movies? Here comes D-VHS

Kain

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020130/tc/media_digitalvideo_dc_1.html

According to that article, they will be releasing HDTV movies on D-VHS tapes. But I don't understand that. Why didn't they release them on optical disks? How can a tape have better quality than an optical disk? Isn't that like saying audio tapes have better quality than audio CDs?

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT 16:9 LCD Projector

Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Sony DVP-NS900 (European version)

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Secondly, talk about wear and tear with the tapes.

------------------

Home Theater:

OR, you could get HD-DVD. Smile.gif

Click here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113139

------------------

Home Theater:

quote:

Originally posted by KAiN64:

According to that article, they will be releasing HDTV movies on D-VHS tapes. But I don't understand that. Why didn't they release them on optical disks? How can a tape have better quality than an optical disk? Isn't that like saying audio tapes have better quality than audio CDs?

At this point in time, D-VHS is the only medium that can handle HDTV- for recording and playback. A standard DVD can only hold 4.7GB whereas D-VHS can hold 44.4GB. That's almost ten times as much as a DVD. Believe it or not, the quality on D-VHS usually equals or surpasses that of DVD because of the maximum bitrate it can handle- 28.2 mb/s to DVD's maximum of 9.7-10 mb/s. I own a D-VHS system which I use to record material from satellite and the image and sound is perfectly identical to the original because it records the raw digital bitstream and plays it back through the onboard decoder. It even records and plays back Dolby Digital 5.1, something even DVD recorders can't do. HDTV on optical disk may happen only when the FMD (flourescent has been completely developed.

I should mention to you that audio CDs are usually made from DAT (Digital Audio Tape) masters. The only difference, in the digital domain, between tape and optical is that random access may not be as easy with tape as it is with optical.

there are quite a few other types of media that can record and playback HDTV. Stuff I have experienced and seen in the broadcast world include BetaHD, DVCpro HD, and other D formats simply denoted by numbers (ie. D1, D2....DVCpro is around D7ish). All digital formats are assigned numbers, some just use the numbers and others use names....ie. D9 vs. Digital -SVHS, are one in the same. JVC tried to shed the VHS name by marketing everything as D9, but it didn't work.

Believe it or not, anything that is captured, edited, and recorded in HD in the broadcast world is done to a tape format. But its interesting to hear about D-VHS, the first "consumer" grade HD media. Too bad they still used the term VHS, need to shed that!! theres still a negative conotation there. Especially now that most consumers understand the lack of video quality in VHS.

------------------

Home Theater System Includes:

-------------------

Sony STR-V444ES

Fronts: RF-3

Center: RC-3II

Rear: RS3-II

Sun: KSW-12 (Fuse: SB 1.2A)

TV: Sony WEGA 27"

DVD: Sony (Model# ?)