Repairing an ultra amp

Up until a few months ago, Klipsch was doing repairs for $60, so the price really jumped recently. The good news is that if there is a significant problem with the board, you will get a brand new board for that price. Before you permanently install the new board, I suggest you let the panel operate for 15 minutes, then observe the temperature of the power supply heat sinks and a neighboring resistor or two. Be careful, since those heat sinks carry high voltage! But when you see the temperatures (a little IR thermometer is handy), you might see an advantage in removing some of that heat more quickly from those surfaces/components. There is a hobbyist who works on these and professes no harm is done by the heat, but I've seen older boards have sections so charred that the board began to conduct electricity and arc. At the least, I would encourage owners to not leave their 5.1 Promedia systems turned on when not in use. The Ultra particulary draws about 20 watts or more at idle, and that heat needs to be removed by the back panel. You may contact me if you want more info on ideas how to help a great system last longer.

I've been busy in recent months, and have not been at the forum since early summer. I apologize that my email link was outdated.