For McIntosh C-32 and C-33 Owners

Good2BHome

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying either a McIntosh C-32 or C-33.

On the back panel of a McIntosh C-32 Pre Amp, how are Output 1 and 2 different from the Main and Line?

On both the 32 and 33, are Output 1 and 2 subject to the volume control on the front panel?

And can I use a "Y" adapter from one of the "Outputs" to create a Center channel output?

I currently have a C-26 and do not want to lose the Center channel with an upgrade.

Thanks

Mike

------------------

3 Channel Audio:

1980 Cornwalls

Klipsch Quartet as Rear

The following I bought NEW in 1971:

McIntosh MR-74

McIntosh C-26

McIntosh MC-2505

This message has been edited by Good2BHome on 02-01-2002 at 12:49 PM

Good--

I've got a C33 and love it, even if it is twenty years old.

The Outputs one and two are for additional amps and they can be switched on and off via the front panel. Thusly they are dependant on the volume control.

The center channel idea is viable but, as you may know, it won't be a dedicated true center channel if the program has a track for one.

Between the two (C32 or C33) the 33 has better stats as far as quality of sound. The only problem I came accross on mine was the variable Loudness control will produce a hiss the lesser the loudness is turned up. When it's turned off there is no hiss.

Go to http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/preamps.htm#c32 and just below it is the C33.

Good luck!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

I have a C30 (love it). I don't think the Y adapter will work the way you want - I think it'll simply parallel the L and R outputs and you'll get mono. (The C30 doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the 32 or 33, so its internals may be a bit different, but I am pretty sure McIntosh does not drive its outputs separately - they are the same point electrically just controlled by the front panel switches.)

You could do something with op amps (acting as buffers so a mixed center won't make the main channels mono), or even just drive another preamp off the second set of outputs and do the Y adapter at its outputs. Or put 10k-50k resistors in series with the outputs, combine the other end of those resistors, and use that to drive a center channel amp. Depending on the sensitivity of the center channel amp and speaker, the level may or may not be appropriate for your needs. The second preamp idea gives you its volume control to adjust the center channel level - that's probably the way to go.

This message has been edited by JonM on 02-02-2002 at 04:39 PM