Why change center Spkr

sab323

I have been advised (correctly I assume) to change over to the proper matching center speaker if I am changing my quintet fronts to 1.2/2.1. I realize this is probably optimal; however, if one is generally relying on the center for vocals; I can't understand why the quintet center wouldn't be adequate. Don't use the center for music too much and DVD maily for the vocals on 5.1 listening. Besides there is so much mix and match in speakers now adays that it seems kinda wierd.

Your comments please

Sab323,

The reason people suggest changing you center channel is to create a perfect timbre match for your l and r fronts. Timbre = the characteristics of the sound of the speaker. The center channel carries much more than just vocals. In movies it can as carry more than 50% of all the sound coming from a particular movie. So a good center channel is important. The reason for a matching center channel is to create a "seamless" soundstage so that when a sound effect "care driving or etc" drives from left to right (ot vice versa) you are able to discern the location of the sound, and not the audible difference in the sound as it changed from left to center to right.

I suggest you compare what you are using to the one recommended for use (I think the KSC SC1) to find the difference for yourself. You may find that the sound difference doesn't outwight the cost. But I prefer matching the speakers.

I hope this helped you.

Welcome to the learning curve, sab323! You'll find a lot about centers on the thread, "Hey HornEd, need Phantom feedback... " in this HT section.

The upshot is that times of changed... full-range discrete sound on each 5.1 channel means that every channel ideally have speakers that are identical to your mains, be set to "SMALL" and be supported with a quality subwoofer.

The center channel is the most important since upwards of 75% of the 5.1 (and above) sound comes through the center channel. Clearly not the place for a wimpy scaled down speaker. If you can't bring yourself, for whatever reason, to have your center be the equal of your mains... it is probably better to use the Phantom mode (NO CENTER CHANNEL) and your receiver will divide that 75%+ of sound between your Left and Right Mains... and that will give you as close a timbre match as your could ask for.

Whether you like it, realize it, or take advantage of it... 5.1 has made your center channel THE MAIN speaker in your rig. Every other speaker, including your Left & Right Mains, are in effect treated by movie sound engineers as support speakers for the center.

The old ideas are okay if you are just going to play old technology stuff from years gone by... when the L & R Mains got the full spectrum and every other speaker just got a piece of the action to make you feel "surrounded" in sound. The quality of the support speakers in that case did not have to be all that high to have "acceptable" (by past consumer standards) sound levels.

There is a long but revealing thread about a center channel test in this section, check out " Hey HornEd, need Phantom feedback... " by T-man.

Hey, in the end it is your ears that should rule, not your bias or lack of particular knowledge. Frankly, the discrete sound technology available in 5.1 (and above) seems to be beyond where the speaker manufacturers are. I believe we are in for a new round of speaker technology that will push this new frontier as it should be pushed... and with the new construction, aggressive leadership and "live performance" traditions at Klipsch, they are in an ideal position to become leaders in the emerging technology of home sound stages that are superior to even the best theaters.

Kmijeski is on the right track, and correlated timbre (the sound characteristics of each speaker) is a key element in creating that "feeling of being real" that occurs in your mind as stimulated by your speakers... he is just a little short on the percentage of sound that comes from your center speaker... 75% is probably too conservative.

You see, the primary action in a movie is in the center of the screen... we are highly visual creatures and the sound tends to be focused on where we are looking... again the center of the screen. In the future, we need to put our best and most powerful speakers where the most powerful flow of sound is channeled... in the center. Sadly, for most that means a Phantom Center (e.g., select the "NO CENTER" option) will likely outperform technically compromised centers that are "indicated" as being correct.

Yes, sab323, you are in the middle of a revolution not of your making... with few places to turn for accurate info. Since your using a "quintet" and presumably enjoy the "in your face reality" of Klipsch... it is likely that you will be upgrading as realization occurs and funding is available. These days, a center channel is a lot more to your listening experience than something to help with "vocals."

cwm40.gif Thanks to T-man's challenge, I have been fortunate enough to "hear" the future... and realize that it was the future. Once you hear it, there is no substitute for discrete sound on full range, identically matched speakers for all five (or more) channels. And the beauty is that the concept can be applied to nearly every price range and main speaker preference. I did it with obsolete Klipsch speakers... kinda shows how much future value can be hidden in a big ol' Klipsch!

Sorry for the preaching, but it is something to remember before you plunk down your cash for a sonic upgrade.

cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Klipsch Legends Cavort Discretely Six Ways!"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

SB-2's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra subs, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite System: vintage Cornwall with SVS16-46CS+

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome: On the road testing...

All that being said, and I thank you, I still say the center one I have is pretty nice. I will have to wait on it though. Heck, I can't even fine a good deal on the KSB2.1s yet. Will have to waite on this also until can be found or just get the 1.1s shortly.