Academy Project

I was given a pair of Fortes as a wedding present almost five years ago. They replace my old cheap surround sound system. I knew that eventually I wanted to go from 2.0 back to 5.1. I recently found a matching pair of Heresies that my brother-in-law could pick up and bring with him for Thanksgiving. With four of the speakers secured, I looked around for an Academy, and found one that would definitely require a little work:

post-33142-13819419641748_thumb.jpg

I've got decent tools set up in my shed (table saw, router, etc), so I'm not too worried about replacing the damaged MDF, but I was shocked at how thick it was. I was expecting something much thinner. I've got a few questions, and I'm hoping someone knows:

1. It seems like there was an area of the horn cutout that was rounded out to allow for the horn to be installed from the front, but the horn was really tight, and I wound up removing it through the hole that was cut out for that other tweeter. Is there supposed to be a rounded area for the horn? I can add pics if this question isn't clear.

2. My Fortes and Heresies are black. I'm going to fill in any damaged areas on the Academy, and I'd like to refinish it in black. Does anyone have a recommendation for a stain and finish, or any suggestions for this part of the process?

2. My Fortes and Heresies are black. I'm going to fill in any damaged areas on the Academy, and I'd like to refinish it in black. Does anyone have a recommendation for a stain and finish, or any suggestions for this part of the process?

For finishing the speakers in black, I suggest thoroughly cleaning the surface with a good oil/wax remover, then sand the wood with 180 grit paper so the paint will stick. Then use a primer/surfacer first on the wood. You can build up enough layers to fill in the grain of the wood if desired, or you can leave some of the wood grain there if you want the black ash look. After sanding the primer with 220 grit paper, spray on either gloss black for a shiny look or matte black for a duller finish. You can use Rustoleum spray paints for both the primer and black with great results. I redid my Oak Khorn tops in black (see 60th Anniv. Clones thread) and they came out great!

You need to fix that hacked up motorboard. The Academy is a sealed design speaker and any air leaks will affect it's performance. I saw that speaker on eBay at some point. I can't believe someone hacked it up and put that crappy dome tweeter in there.

You need to fix that hacked up motorboard. The Academy is a sealed design speaker and any air leaks will affect it's performance. I saw that speaker on eBay at some point. I can't believe someone hacked it up and put that crappy dome tweeter in there.

I didn't have time to work on this until today, but I've removed the enitire motorboard and I'll be cutting/routing a new one. I can't believe they did that either, but when I'm done it should be as good as new.