New (to me) kg5.5s...questions...

I just got a pair of Klipsch kg5.5s...but as a mostly Heritage guy
(with the exception of my first Klipsch speakers...kg2s) I have no
experience with these...

2 way instead of 3 way...check

Dual 10" Woofers instead of a single Woofer...check

Tower design instead of "box" design...check

Front ported instead of no port or rear passive...check

Black vinyl (that looks like black painted Oak) instead of real wood veneer...check

34hZ to 20hZ...nice

98dB efficiency...real nice

I will be using these in a two channel enhanced stereo sound for DVDs
and TV in a smaller room...but I am hearing a lot of hiss when playing
a 2 channel stereo DVD recording (Diana Krall...Live in Paris)...is
this just the efficiency talking...I can't hear it when the music is
playing but can when the music is paused...

I have a Nakamichi TA/2A stereo receiver and a Sony DVD player hooked
into my Sony LCD projection TV...analog for the sound hook ups...

Might it be the way I have it hooked up...thoughts...experiences...

By the way...these kg5.5s dig pretty deep and the voice (Diana's) is sweet as usual...

Thanks for any thoughts you'd care to share...

Bill

ok...I'm a dummy...I had one set too
many audio cables...trying to decipher the recommendations of a High
Definition LCD TV...a component connected DVD player...and a Stereo
Receiver from before the time of DVD and LCD TVs...

I have the hiss down...

Thanks Tom...I am very familiar with a lot of Klipsch speakers but had never heard the .5 speakers in the kg line...these are very nice...thanks for sharing your love for them with me...[:D]...what didja replace them with???
Bill

ok...I'm a dummy...I had one set too many audio cables...trying to decipher the recommendations of a High Definition LCD TV...a component connected DVD player...and a Stereo Receiver from before the time of DVD and LCD TVs...
I have the hiss down...

Thanks Tom...I am very familiar with a lot of Klipsch speakers but had never heard the .5 speakers in the kg line...these are very nice...thanks for sharing your love for them with me...Big Smile...what didja replace them with???
Bill

Glad you figured it out.

I sold my 5.5's to a gentleman I work with. He was interested in a pair of Cornwalls I had for sale for $600.00. As luck would have it, once he walked in the room and seen the Lascala's, Cornwalls, and KG 5.5's, he wanted to hear them all. He thought that the sound and size of the mint condition 5.5's were perfect for his room. I didn't really want to sell them, so, I told him he would have to pay the same $600.00 for them as he would for the Cornwalls. Well, to my surprise he didn't bat an eye and agreed. I bitched the whole time as I was helping him load them into his rig. I made a killing on the deal, but, I have been looking to steal another pair like I did those. I only paid $220.00 for them and they were the light oak and were flawless.

I guess the answer to your question about the replacements is, still looking.

I have many speakers but I always want more. This hobby has turned into an addiction. LOL

Tom

I'm pretty sure those are not black vinyl. They should be black painted oak speakers. Typically, if a speaker had a blemish or the oak didn't look "right" they painted them black. I had black 4.5's. They were great speakers. I now have KLF 10's in medium oak. They are similar to the 5.5's but have a more refined top end. Your kg's are a better speaker than most of the current reference line. Be happy with your purchase!

I have had a pair of KG5.5 in medium dark oak veneer since the early 90's. I continue to have a positive sonic relationship with them. I have upgraded source and amplification gear over the years and are still not limited by the speakers yet. I moved from imported SS receiver, to Adcom, SE KT88, to my existing Dyna MKIII's mono blocks and still hear the improvement at each step. I have been reluctant to upgrade the crossovers, either through mucking them up and the down time to do this. They will serve you very well!

I have been a 'silent member' for several years, this is my first post.

- Mike