Speaker suggestions please....

TLI

First off - hello. I've been trolling for a little while now and have been impressed by the number of dedicated regulars here. It's always easier to jump into the mix after reading a lot of positive contributions from the various members on numerous topics.

I'm slowly putting together my wish list for our basement theater (mixed use actually: theater, music, games - in that order). I'm demo'ing some local KLF-10s with a matching CC this weekend but continue to be flustered with speaker decisions. I'm wired for a 7.2 system (yes, 2 subs - when we built our home, I wasn't sure of the sub location so I'm wired for 2 - could be fun).

I've read plenty of good things about the KLFs but haven't ever heard them personally so this weekend should be a good introduction to horns. Our basement, however, is 21' x 20' and I question whether the 10s are big enough. Of that space, we're essentially using 21' (L) x 12' (W) for the theater area. Pics/designs will follow soon in support of these dimensions and layout but are there any negatives to looking at the KLFs that you can think of?

Does anyone have any good feedback for RS-7s as ceiling-mounted side and rear surrounds?

Does anyone have any good feedback for the CDT-5800-C as in-ceiling side and rear surrounds?

Does anyone have any good feedback concerning either of these speakers mated with KLFs?

I suppose the best question I can leave with is this: if you were starting over, what would you be looking out for in terms of a 7.1/2 system? In this scenario, $2 - $5K for speakers is a realistic budget.

My receiver for the basement is an HK AVR-7200. From what I've read, I believe it should be fine for quite a while pushing the highly-sensitive Klipsch options I've been considering thus far. I'm very happy with this unit and am anxious to put it to better use in a bigger basement system.

I realize this is a bit scattered but I wanted to get the postings/questions started. Thanks in advance and I look forward to your input.

--t

Can't go wrong with Heritage if you want to go that route. Save some $$. I have 4 Forte 1's a KG 2.2v and a sub-12 hooked to a Denon AVR 3805. 2 channel is great, HT will blow you away. I have about $1500.00 in it all. Need to upgrade to Titanium diaphragms in all 4 and caps in one pair (about $300 more). Only compromise is space.

Thats my .02 [Y]

If you are able to find a pair of KSP-S6 surrounds they have been recommended to go with KLF front speakers by many people.

In-ceiling speakers are really not recommended unless you are more concerned with aesthetics and hiding the speakers.

With a range of $2-5K that opens up quite a few potential setups. You could have all Heresys, all Cornwalls, all Fortes, all current Reference series, etc.

If you are more comfortable buying new Klipsch has several matched system here: http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/floorstanding-systems.aspx

If you are comfortable buying used you can get some incredible speakers for the money. I paid $275 for my near mint Forte IIs. Altogether my mains/center/surrounds as shown in my signature cost me about $690. The crossover upgrade in my Fortes and my subwoofers obviously cost more than that but it gives you an idea of what you can get for the money.

The main thing to remember is the front 3 speakers are the most sensitive to mis-matching. If you can find front mains and a center speaker that are from the same series or model name/number that will make a huge difference in your enjoyment of them.

Remember, you'll only be using the KLF-10's from about 60-80hz on up,
which they're fine for. When I was running my 12" sub, I had my
KLF-20's crossed over at 40hz.

I assume the matching center you're referring to is the KLF-C7, or maybe another KLF-10?

Personally, what I'd do (and did), is add an outboard amp. I chose an Emotiva XPA-5, but another fine choice (and would still be a LARGE upgrade from a receiver's amp) is the UPA-7, which is a 125w x7 amp for $699. I was using a receiver with a good amp section before, but it's night and day when compared to a good outboard amp.

I'm going to piss off the loyalists here, but there are better sub choices than the moderate-priced Klipsch stuff. If you don't want to DIY, you could check out epik subwoofers, the "Castle" and "Tower" are very popular and received excellent reviews.. There's also Elemental designs, HSU, and SVS. I chose the DIY path, but you have to be pretty committed to either start hacking up the walls or consider sub boxes that are >10 cubic feet in size.. But the clarity, depth, and performance for the $ can't be touched by a commercial sub.

I'll also second that timbre-matching the front 3 speakers is the most important.

Thanks for the replies. I am definitely willing to explore the used market.......I'm in no hurry and it actually sounds like fun as opposed to going to the store and dropping my credit card on the counter. What's the fun in that (besides running home and immediately enjoying your new toys)?

A DIY sub would be a fun project if had anything that resembled free time to take on such a chore. No chance I'll be tackling any such project w/ baby No. 2 due soon.

I'll check in regularly w/ any progress. No need to continue to bump my own thread until such time I have something to share. Wish me luck.......

Heritage are great speakers! Keep an eye on Craig's list and here and you will find what you are looking for. Another thing I love about my Forte's is they are absolutely beautiful looking. Mine are Walnut Oiled (WO) and they got even better after I used Watco rejuvenating oil on them.

Good luck on the search and the new baby![Y]