Need some advise

g_mac_okie

I have a pair of Cornwalls that I believe were purchased in '83. Please correct me if I am wrong. Serial #'s are 30X851 and 30X855.

I actually have two questions. First, I am looking for a center and have a line on a single Heresy II. Would this be a good match, and would $150 be a fair price for one that is in good shape? If not what should I be looking for?

Second, both of my speakers have pretty significant scratches (not deep, but long) down one side. Is there an easy way to make these less noticable? They are walnut lacquer I believe (CWL). Again, correct my if I am wrong. I have no woodworking experience, but if there is anything I can do to make the scratches less noticable I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

The "X" dates your Cornwalls to '82.

Best match would be a Heresy I, but a II will work just fine & there is a kit available from Klipsch to update the II to III specs. $150 is a good price.

I'll leave the woodworking question to others who know what they're talking about. [;)]

James

Well first, X = 1982

As for a good match for a center channel, open up your Cornwall's and verify the the numbers on the back of the mid driver and crossovers.

If it is the K-55-V (most likely) then the original Heresy (K-55-V standard) would be a better match than the Heresy II.

Now for the complication...

Folks "upgraded" Cornwall's to a different sounding mid-driver, the K-52-K as well as the B-3 crossover.

It's somewhat rare, but it happens, I have a pair...

I also have a pair of original Heresy's that were upgraded to K-52-K mid drivers.

The Heresy II normally has the K-53-K mid-driver as well as the K-76-K tweeter and is only a really good match to a standard Cornwall II.

Lot's of data to say, Find an original Heresy for a standard original Cornwall.

As to price, $150 for a good matching Heresy is a good price, but there is not much chance that an H2 will match your original Cornwall.

All that said, another matching Cornwall is your best center channel...

Check it out and report back.

just speaking speaker wise...i would agree with Hudson, i would try to find a matching cornwall first, then look for the hersey II.

as far as the scraches, if you want it done right, talk to any stainer or finisher. they are not hard to find. go to any unpainted/ finished furinature shop and ask for their stainer. call that guy up and he will make them look new. i have a stainer that is going to completly redo my RF-7's and RC-7. it may cost $100-200 but it will be worth it, and i mean no disrespect, but his job will look better than what you can do. (i am assuming you can't do the work in the first place because if you can, it would have been a silly question.)

take care