Left channel sounds better than the righ channel

MikeSt

I've been listening to my KG4s with the HK 730 I just bought off ebay and the left channel is defintely better sounding than the right. At first I thought it was my ears but when I switched speaker cables on the receiver it switched. Does the same thing with different sources and cables as well. The left channel has more bass and better midrange, even a little louder sounding but barely.. Is there something I can do thats not too techincal to fix this? I don't know how to fix electronics. Thanks.

The first place I would start with is a good cleaning of the switches and controls on the old HK.

You could just have a dirty balance control or tape monitor or any control in the HK.

You'd be surprised how much a good cleaning will do for the sound quality and functioning of an old receiver/amp etc.

Harry

The first place I would start with is a good cleaning of the switches and controls on the old HK.

The last owner did that before he sold it.

Now I just noticed the right channel has more bass than the left, LOTS more bass. The left is still clearer but doesn't have much bass at all. Thats funny because I could have sworn the left had more bass earlier.

The last owner did that before he sold it.

It might not be too bad an idea to do it again. Maybe the controls and switches he cleaned were really dirty and aren't fully cleaned? Worth a shot.

Thanks for the link to the service manual. I was also able to download one for my AVR85 (also for AVR75) that has at least a couple of issues. Just repalce HK430 with AVR85.

HarrryO told me a few months ago how I may be able to fix one of them (front display that stays off most of the time) by basically cleaning up a voltage control pot. With the manual I may be able to find the exact one though I'm sure they all could stand a good cleaning.

When I get around to getting that working (anyone have a spare round tuit) I may have to ask about the left channel output which is dead... though that may be best left for the professionals as it's getting in the area of those mambo output capacitors unless I first learn how to properly discharge said capacitors.

I've mostly used the AVR85 as a preamp feeding a Carver 705x and only in 2 channel mode. The Carver is sitting on my desk waiting for a new power switch to be installed.